I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thought it was interesting WHY people choose to be vegetarian. There is the one group that believes it is healthier. There is the group that thinks animals are people too. There are those that just don't enjoy meat.

Probably the most compelling was the girl who believed that using 15 pounds of grain to make 1 pound of beef was a waste of worldwide resources. She would only eat wild meat like fish and deer. When you realize that you could use those same 15 pounds of grain to make 5 gallons of a premium beverage... the girl might be onto something...

grem135 said:
Guess that makes us cannibals. But still not paying someone to eat his grilled junk.

Ahhhhh!!!!! Why did you have to bring that back up?!?! I had forgotten about that and life was getting back to normal. :p
Now I have thoughts of morons paying to eat Asian frank and beans. What a waste of money too. You know they were just hungry again an hour later.

An hour later? I bet it was closer to 5 minutes.
BTW sorry to bring that back. I guess I remember stupid stuff when I'm bored to death at work and its snowing

grem135 said:
An hour later? I bet it was closer to 5 minutes.
BTW sorry to bring that back. I guess I remember stupid stuff when I'm bored to death at work and its snowing

Yeah Asian food doesn't stick with you too long. I'm not sure about the time Asian genitalia keeps you full. But I'm assuming not very long. They probably had to stop off for a Big Mac when they left.

Hey! I thought Idiot IPA was my idea!!

image-4095944276.jpg

Y'know what would be the most compelling argument in favor of vegetarianism? "Here try this, there is no meat in it and it is delicious."

CreamyGoodness said:
Y'know what would be the most compelling argument in favor of vegetarianism? "Here try this, there is no meat in it and it is delicious."

I do that all the time. I'm a frikkin amazing cook ;) so every time at a potluck or when I have people over I hear "ah now if I could eat like this every day I could be vegetarian!" Well, why not learn how to cook like this then? I swear people think we're eating boiled cabbage and tofu.

On an idiotic note, I work with a morbidly obese guy. His sister is incredibly fat, and gets these lesions, like bed sores, and since her hygiene isn't great she will routinely get infections. Last Friday he went to check on her, and she was feverish and unresponsive. It turns out somehow an infection worked it's way into her copious fat layer and just started going to town, and since there is very little blood supply to deliver white blood cells in the fat she is undergoing surgery while they cut massive parts of her out. Isn't that lovely? And while I know this has nothing to do with eating meat per se I know that I sure as hell ain't going out like that.

I do that all the time. I'm a frikkin amazing cook ;) so every time at a potluck or when I have people over I hear "ah now if I could eat like this every day I could be vegetarian!" Well, why not learn how to cook like this then? I swear people think we're eating boiled cabbage and tofu.

On an idiotic note, I work with a morbidly obese guy. His sister is incredibly fat, and gets these lesions, like bed sores, and since her hygiene isn't great she will routinely get infections. Last Friday he went to check on her, and she was feverish and unresponsive. It turns out somehow an infection worked it's way into her copious fat layer and just started going to town, and since there is very little blood supply to deliver white blood cells in the fat she is undergoing surgery while they cut massive parts of her out. Isn't that lovely? And while I know this has nothing to do with eating meat per se I know that I sure as hell ain't going out like that.

How can you stay healthy when you are missing so many of the basic food groups? Ribs, bacon, ham...

Leadgolem said:
How can you stay healthy when you are missing so many of the basic food groups? Ribs, bacon, ham...

I fill in the gaps with beer, wine, butter and chocolate. It's a stretch, but I make it work.

bomber... even though everyone knows you and I are mortal enemies... if you ever come to NYC I promise I can show you omnivorous dishes about town that you will love both flavor-wise and ethically.

CreamyGoodness said:
bomber... even though everyone knows you and I are mortal enemies... if you ever come to NYC I promise I can show you omnivorous dishes about town that you will love both flavor-wise and ethically.

Oh I don't care about ethics.. If there was some vegetarian equivalent to gavage feeding I would gladly support that to obtain a richer and more satisfying tofu. And if I ever do end up on that side of the continent, I will be sure to come with an open mind. I will not be eating that raw hamburger dish you so love though. That thing is from satan.

Id argue vehemently if it werent for the fact that my lovely wife dislikes beef tarar. She can eat it without having to spit it into a napkin, but after trying it several times she just doesnt like it.

Personally I think beef tartar is like a single person's one night stand. Its either super awesome or super horrible.

Oh I don't care about ethics.. If there was some vegetarian equivalent to gavage feeding I would gladly support that to obtain a richer and more satisfying tofu. And if I ever do end up on that side of the continent, I will be sure to come with an open mind. I will not be eating that raw hamburger dish you so love though. That thing is from satan.
Oh, you mean like this?
tumblr_ltu09nAGfd1qdctfpo1_500.jpg

If we weren't supposed to eat meat, then why is meat so delicious?

Not only that, but why do so many vegetarians want their veggies to look and taste like meat?

"Yea, I'll have the veggie burger with soy bacon. And could you serve that to me while dressed as a cow? "

DougK said:
If we weren't supposed to eat meat, then why is meat so delicious?

Not only that, but why do so many vegetarians want their veggies to look and taste like meat?

"Yea, I'll have the veggie burger with soy bacon. And could you serve that to me while dressed as a cow? "

Haha... Well first, what you consider delicious others may not. For example, I can guarantee you I would not consider a steak delicious. And I like things that you do not. Taste is a matter of perspective, so what you're presenting isn't even really an argument. People in Japan eat fermented fish that's been buried in pots full of rice for years, some of them love it but that doesn't make it more or less legitimate. Furthermore, many of the people who go for the "meat substitute" products were former meat eaters who changed their diet for health or ethical reasons, so they are trying to find something similar to what they once enjoyed. While being vegetarian is certainly healthier and more environmentally friendly, those are not my reasons for doing so. And I don't really care for overpriced meat substitute products. I get my protein from beans, grains, and occasionally tofu.

Haha... Well first, what you consider delicious others may not. For example, I can guarantee you I would not consider a steak delicious. And I like things that you do not. Taste is a matter perspective, so what you're presenting isn't even really an argument. People in Japan eat fermented fish that's been buried in pots full of rice for years, some of them love it but that doesn't make it more or less legitimate. Furthermore, many of the people who go for the "meat substitute" products were former meat eaters who changed their diet for health or ethical reasons, so they are trying to find something similar to what they once enjoyed. While being vegetarian is certainly healthier and more environmentally friendly, those are not my reasons for doing so. And I don't really care for overpriced meat substitute products. I get my protein from beans, grains, and occasionally tofu.

I have eclectic tastes myself, so you might be surprised.

I don't buy into the "meat is unhealthy" myth. Sure, some kinds can be, especially if eaten in excess, but I don't believe it is unhealthy as a whole.

That being said, I also avoid processed meats, make my own sausages, and use venison in favor of beef as much as possible.

I don't have it every day either, nor do I ever have "just meat" it is always a small portion of the meal.

I would agree that most Americans eat too much meat. Meat is concentrated nutrition, but it is also concentrated fat and calories. A diet that is centered around meat requires a person to consume far more calories than they need for them to feel full.

It isn't the only concentrated food out there though. Most of our processed ingredients are concentrated, like sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Even beer is concentrated. We strip the calories from the barley then boil it down to concentrate it even further.

What I can't figure out is how all the zombies stay so skinny...

I think at the heart of my pro-omnivore argument is really "I enjoy this food an awful lot, and some part of me is incredulous that you actively avoid it (rather than just not like it)." When my wife declined my grandmother's macaroni and squash (her recipe that is, I cooked it) I was crushed. I wanted to share the feelings of love and warmth as well as the utter deliciousness that it gave me growing up, but alas, she doesnt think the word "squash" is appetizing. (When I called it "spaghetti with zucchini" she happily ate it. Go figger.)

As for why I offer carne to bottlebomber, I just want to jam a sparerib in his face-hole.

Never underestimate the power of bacon.

I know of a couple vegetarians that either "cheated" with it or bacon was the food that got them into eating meat.

Jerky has also claimed a few.

DougK said:
I have eclectic tastes myself, so you might be surprised.

I don't buy into the "meat is unhealthy" myth. Sure, some kinds can be, especially if eaten in excess, but I don't believe it is unhealthy as a whole.

That being said, I also avoid processed meats, make my own sausages, and use venison in favor of beef as much as possible.

I don't have it every day either, nor do I ever have "just meat" it is always a small portion of the meal.

And that's a praiseworthy attitude to have towards meat consumption. I never did claim that eating meat is unhealthy, however it is in the quantity/quality that many people choose to consume it. Meat has traditionally been a luxury for agrarian society, as there has not been a way to preserve fresh meat until recently, and raising animals is incredibly expensive in terms of resources used. I can tell you for sure that if I was ever to eat red meat in any significant quantity I would want to literally meet the animal if not raise or hunt it myself. I find willingly induced obesity and people's eating habits in general to be a thing of disgust. That more than anything turns me off to the idea of (unnecessarily) eating meat.

CreamyGoodness said:
As for why I offer carne to bottlebomber, I just want to jam a sparerib in his face-hole.

I think a sparerib or a baby back rib is one that could convert a few vegs. I have a few slabs in the freezer. I think I'll cook some up and think about all the things veggiebomber is missing out on. ;)

CreamyGoodness said:

Spare ribs always seemed kind of funny to me.. It's kind of like when I smoked cigarettes and someone would say "Hey you got an extra smoke?" I'd pull the pack out and look at it, "nope, this pack only came with 20. No extras."

I think the "spare" is a word to differentiate them from the "prime" rib. Though, when you think about it, they should really be called prime and composite ribs then.

Back