Any Bluegrass or Folk Fans Out There?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdubbaya

Reaction score
It's warming up around here (high of 37 today), which means Spring is approaching and I am itching to get back to brewing outdoors!

Something about the sunshine gets me back into bluegrass/jam/folk music. I've been on a tear lately.

Anyone else dig a little banjo or mandolin pickin'?

Here's what I'm listening to lately:

Back to working on my River Walker Pale Ale recipe right now, this thing is going to be tasty!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I love Flatt & Scruggs!

I remember the PBS special on The Three Pickers with Flatt, Scruggs, and Doc Watson.

I love bluegrass and folk. Just started picking on the banjo a little my self. I suck but it's fun.

I love bluegrass and folk. Just started picking on the banjo a little my self. I suck but it's fun.

I've played guitar on and off for about 12 years, and I've often considered trying a banjo. I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start, and don't have the time to learn another instrument!

Speaking of Flatt & Scruggs, a nice little tribute...

I listen to bluegrass occasionally along with a ton of folk metal. Here's something you might have missed that I thought was very interesting...

Most of their stuff leans more toward black metal but they infuse bluegrass/folk into a lot of it. The result might surprise most people but the two styles do relate very well.

:mug:

I love some good Bluegrass, but mostly been listening to Hayseed Dixie. That Grandpa banjo link was sweet! We used to sing that song when I was a kid. My sister played it on the piano.

LOL! Larry and his flask... SKAgrass??

I love some good bluegrass and/or folk music. Either the traditional guys or the new guys in the game. As to the new guys I actually prefer the old school Trampled by Turtles, pre-fiddle player. Their first album is golden and by far the best all around album they've made. Every song is good which isn't something I can't personally say about their subsequent releases. The Avett Brothers (again, their older work) are another good upcoming band I enjoy.

I usually get my fix from listening to The Current's United States of Americana. It's really a great radio program and you can stream it free if you can't get up early enough on the weekend to watch it.

I think bluegrass/folk is going to be the "next big thing" in a way...witness Mumford & Sons recent major success. I know these guys are not traditional, but I envision more and more of their style entering the mainstream music scene.

Fwiw, search for Putnam Smith for a newish guy doing some more traditional style folk/banjo but with his own interpretation. I think it might be putnamsmith.com

Did you catch last week's "A prairie home companion" it was all about the banjo. Great music.

They usually have a lot of good folky music on that show. Was actually supposed to go see it live a few years ago when the aforementioned Old Crow Medicine Show was performing but was too sick to leave the house....

I think bluegrass/folk is going to be the "next big thing" in a way...witness Mumford & Sons recent major success.

Mumford and Sons and The Lumineers both from last year. I remember before Little Lion Man broke and well before they performed on the Grammy's when my gf was lucky enough to win tickets from The Current to see them at the Varsity Theater. Pretty small place but even at that point in Minneapolis they were blowing up big time and it was overly crowded and sold out well in advance. Said it was a great show.

Deer Tick is another band I've been digging on these last few years now. Guys got a great raspy voice and was also in Middle Brother with members of Dawes and Delta Spirit. Getting more into the new wave folk (I think I just coined a genre name there) but I could also sit and just listen to someone playing the banjo for hours. I love my mandolin even though I suck at it.

I listen to a little bit of everything but I really enjoy Trampled by Turtles, Yonder Mountian String Band and Portland, Oregon's very own World's Finest.

They usually have a lot of good folky music on that show. Was actually supposed to go see it live a few years ago when the aforementioned Old Crow Medicine Show was performing but was too sick to leave the house....

Been listening as long as it's been on. I even worked at one of the public radio stations in Detroit, that used to carry it, produce local folk, jazz, blues and bluegrass shows.

I've never been to a live broadcast either, I've lived in Detroit, Kansas City and West Palm Beach Florida, and each time it's come to town, I've either been out of town that weekend, or been scheduled to preach the next morning, and I never do anything the night before I preach except work on my sermon....

Another sort of cross-genre group, but I've loved everything Cadillac Sky has done so far.

I've seen Yonder Mountain a couple times at festivals, they're a great live show. Split Lip Rayfield is another bluegrass-sequence band I dig. I've seen a bunch of great bluegrass music at these festivals...somehow those shows all blur together haha.

I can definitely appreciate some good pickin. I have been out to the Telluride bluegrass festival a few times which is a lot of fun even if you hate bluegrass. Some of my favorite pickers are Sam Bush, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, and Peter Rowan.

Not really a big fan, but my nephew and his wife are - they have their own band. He's a grad student at Michigan Tech. They are going on a short tour in two weeks, heading down to Newport News, VA (when he does research in the Summers) and back, making a bunch of stops along the way, including here

Lot's of original songs about life and things in the UP.

Gratiot Lake Road

Oh, and they make wine (wife has glutten issues) and I've been coaching him on beer brewing

Rose's Pawn Shop today. Another band without a bad album, both have been very good.

Ran into the hacksaw boys back in college days, they had about twelve folks and so did we, got to talking music since all of us played and ended up seeing them play later, been listening ever since. round the fire! Is a jam man. Dance gypsy dance, ha round the fire

Ran into the hacksaw boys back in college days, they had about twelve folks and so did we, got to talking music since all of us played and ended up seeing them play later, been listening ever since. round the fire! Is a jam man. Dance gypsy dance, ha round the fire

I used to go see the Hackensaws all the time in Harrisonburg and Charlottesville. I remember the days when they would have anywhere from 6-12 folks on stage- sometimes the band would outnumber the audience! And boy did they get down. Good times.

Some Americana that fits the theme....

Gives me chills...

Y'all ever see Howard finster on the Carson show? That was classic, that man was wild.

Ending the night with a little Avett Bros. instant classic. Love this song!

Cheers!

I love BG and folk music. I've attended both festivals(May & August) in Gettysburg every year since 2001 and GreyFox in N.Y. since '05
I also play guitar, mandolin and a little banjo.

Another more Americana/Folk group - Boat to Row. These guys are really talented!

Back