Anyone use an IR Thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhunk

Reaction score
We had an IR Thermometer at work that didn't work for the application it was bought for so my boss let me take it home to try out for brewing. Anyone else use one? I haven't had a chance to play with it yet to see how it compares to my trusted digital probes but I love the concept and that I wouldn't need to worry about keeping it sterilized.

I'm curious to see how well it compares with you're digital probe readouts , post the results.

this is what hombrewfinds says they use their ir thermometers for.

Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer for $13.71 shipped

Since this is no touch, you can check the temp of yeast washing and yeast rehydration water and your starter wort without the risk of infection. See Tip 1 on the Tips Page for more information on my yeast rehydration technique that employs the use of an infrared thermometer.

Other uses include checking the temperature of: your kegerator, your fermenter/fermenation area and beer tasting samples.
Here is the link. http://www.homebrewfinds.com/search/label/Thermometers

I think it works fine.....like all digital thermometers temps will always vary when you compare against others....

OK, it looks like I'll give it shot. Should be brewing on Thur so I'll post some results back afterwards.

I use one, but only to check solid surface temps. I was wildly inaccurate for liquid temp measurements, but works well for reading grain and mash tun temperatures to prevent thermal loss when beginning mashing.

I use one for some things. It isn't accurate for the boil. I also wouldn't feel comfortable with it for mash temps. I do use it to check cooling samples and to check the temps of carboys fermenting.

Back