Oxygen Concentrator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagavulin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone use an oxygen concentrator for wort oxygenation?

I have a line on a lightly used machine that was just serviced and has all new filters.

The guy wants $150 for it.

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on O2 tank/regulator vs concentrator?

Figure in the long run the concentrator would be worth it as you can set the exactly liter per minute rate and it never needs refilled.

Thoughts?

I bet it works but will be slower than a small red pressurized O2 tank, mainly because its a medical device for breathing the oxygen so its not going to shoot out faster than someone could inhale it.

I see it much like the fish air pump method, with the advantage of it being a much richer oxygen level since the nitrogen is being removed (which is like 60% of our atmosphere or something).
Its 3x the cost of an O2 regulator, and while it doesn't need refilling...its used and could break and certainly won't be cheap to fix (per wiki home models start at $800, so I hope yours still works and works well)

It will work just fine. Christ White recommends using 1 liter per minute for 1 minute per 5 gallons of 1.040 wort. Increases of OG requires longer time not faster flow rates. This is with using a .5 micron stone. I use a medical O2 bottle and regulator. Anything much over 5 liters per minute will blow the stone off the hose. A oxygen generator will be able to produce O2 up to a rate of 5 liters per minute so 1 or 2 liters per minute will be easy for it. Also, since they are intended for medical oxygen therapy, the regulator built into it is accurate.

The big plus side of them is that it can be very hard to get medical O2 bottles refilled. Most places require a prescription to do so. We have a fill station at my fire department so I can fill mine, otherwise I would be out of luck.

Once in a while I see them for 100 bucks on CL. Yes, it will work just fine if you don't mind storing the machine. How they work? Beats me... they magically take the 21% O2 out of ambient air, discard the bulk of nitrogen and other junk.

My wifes an RN, and the way most of these things find there way to the used market is by theft...for the Med. equipment companys they rep. a significant investment......better be careful just because you bought it from "A guy" doesnt mean your not receiving stolen goods. I'd check the thing for a equipment companys sitcker or serial. Question the guy closely on where he go it etc.

Welding grade O2 is just as pure as medical grade one is 99.999 medical is 99.9995. The possibility for any contamination is greater from your activities than from the gas. I use my welding gas all the time. I also use welding or fire extinguisher CO2. much cheaper than medical and no hasssles getting a bottle filled ever. That solves the O2 prescription issue nicely.
Wheelchair Bob

Dumb question that I need to ask National AirGas. Can I (a normal US Citizen) walk in without a fancy dancy special license and purchase a welding oxygen cylinder from them and swap it for refills as needed like I already do with CO2...?

Dumb question that I need to ask National AirGas. Can I (a normal US Citizen) walk in without a fancy dancy special license and purchase a welding oxygen cylinder from them and swap it for refills as needed like I already do with CO2...?

As long as your money is green (in the US) or your credit card is good you can. Buying a welding O2 tank is easy. You can also get a flow meter O2 regulator for pretty short money (check Amazon and ebray). You might need to modify the outlet fitting to mate with your hose, but that should be minor. Take the regulator to AirGas and see if they have a fitting that will go to the threaded fitting (if you have that on the regulator) to the hose barb size you need. I got two of those for maybe a couple of dollars when I needed them. Just be sure you get the O2 regulator that uses the CGA 540 connection.

Good Deal! Found a CGA 540 regulator for 0-8 lpm for 27 bones on Ebay. that will work for a 1 lpm flowrate into a tasty 30 gallon batch of lager for 6 minutes using a 0.5 micron stone!

Good Deal! I have a small CGA 870 cylinder and CGA 870 regulator. Ebay also seems to have 540 to 870 fill adapters but they are 120 bones or so... Will have to speak with National AirGas folks to see what works best and is most cost effective. I do not fear the high pressures - you just immerse the cylinders in water and fill slowly much like SCUBA (heat of compression).

You could probably get them (AirGas) to swap out the tank for one with the correct fitting on it for short money. The guys at the location near me are really solid. I have a pair of the smallest O2 tanks now, and plan on exchanging one for a much bigger version when this one is drained (for welding again). Planning on swapping out the acetylene tank for a larger one when it's empty too. :D Makes for MUCH cheaper upgrades. :D

Thanks! modified my earlier post as you were quoting it. No need to fill my 870 cylinder when a 540 regulator for what I need is only 27 bucks. This will work!

:D I got one of my regulators from ebray and the other from Amazon. :D Depending on what it's set up as/with, you might just need to get the threaded to barb (think swivel nut) fitting to connect it to the hose you'll use. Since I have the William's wands I wanted to use 3/16" ID hose (using Bevlex). The welding supply store I exchanged my 40 cubic tank (way out of hydro date) for the pair of 20's had the brass fittings on hand. :D Depending on the location/store close to you, it could be that easy too.

I am using this one from http://www.prajwalhealthcare.com/everflo-oxygen-concentrator.html. This is compact, light weight and portable

31 pounds and 45db. :eek:

Small O2 welding tank is about 10-12# (total weight), the wand, regulator, hose, might add another 3-5# to that. So about half the weight. Pure O2 system is pretty much dead silent (you hear the bubbles, but you do that with either). How much is that unit new? Can you even BUY it new (without a Rx)??

Back