Jamil's Bohemian Pilsner - Extract version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK.....here's my disclaimer

I'm an AG brewer...

I recently brewed a batch of Jamil's Bohemian Pilsner recipe using the AG option.... and I spent an easy 7 hours including clean up time. I'm usually done in around 4 hours.

It took a long time for the sacrification conversion...almost 3 hours at 154 degrees. I did 2 batch sparges. Then I did a 90 minute boil to minimize any DMS production.

Jamil recommends chilling the wort down to 44 degrees before aerating and pitching any yeast....so that took another 24 hours. I pitched a 1 liter starter at 44 degrees and brought the fermentation temp up to 50 degreees slowly within 48 hours and it's fermenting quite nicely(this is day 7). I'm not exactly thrilled with the color...it's much darker than I was planning on. I think the darker color is attributed to such a long boil and possible maillard reaction.

I consider myself a knowledgable AG brewer who started with extracts. And I can still remember the difference in taste between my best extract brews 15 years ago and my 1st AG. But I've got to know what the difference will be now after so many years of AG brewing.

For my next science project, I'll brew the same recipe except I'll do the extract version. I'm sure it will be completed much faster. I won't do a full volume boil and I will add the final 2/3 of the extract in the final 10 minutes of the boil. I'll run it through my therminator to chill, then I'll add 2 or 3 gallons of 33 degree distilled water to the fermentor. I'll ferment it on the fresh yeast cake that the AG has been fermenting on.

I'm very interested in what the difference in taste and color will be between both batches after 2 months of conditioning at 30 degrees.

I will keep you posted on my results.

My prediction is you'll have mixed feelings. If you make it using 90-100% extract it's not going to be nearly the same. Doesn't this recipe call for some Dextrin malt? But for the time invested in brewing it, it will be a very good return on your investment.

First, I apologize to the extract brewers for going into the AG details below....since this is an extract forum.

I use iodine for testing conversion and mash in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with a false bottom. There was plenty of black in the solution at the end of the first hour. I checked it every half hour after the first hour and although there was less and less blackness each time, there was still enough for me to not want to start my sparge. I mashed my grist of Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner at 154 degrees at 1.25 qts./lb. I've never had this issue with American 2 row or Maris Otter, they convert in less than an hour. My process was consistent with all of my other single infusion batches.

And yes, the extract recipe calls for 1 pound of CaraPils where as the AG recipe called for .75 lbs.

AG has been lagering for 2 months.....extract is ready to have a diacetyl rest.

AG = YUMMMM

Extract = not ready for comparison....but there appears to be a huge difference comparing the AG prior to the diacetyl rest to the extract today....in the AG's favor....just saying...

It's not fair yet to compare them until I can lager the extract for at least a month.....

So how did the extract compare to the AG in the end?

Also, do you happen to have a link to the Jamil pilsner extract recipe you used (I can only seem to find the AG recipe on homebrewtalk).

You won't like the answer. There was absolutely no comparison to what I brew or drink today. After the lagering process.... I dumped the entire batch.

That's not to say that extracts aren't good. I do use DME for my yeast starters as well as when I'm wanting more gravity points in a high gravity beer. I have a 10 gallon MLT and have about a 26 pound grain limit. I recently did a parti-gyle taking the 1st runnings off the full MLT and 2nd runnings. To the first I added 2 lbs of dark brown sugar and 2 lbs of DME and got about 4 gallons of a nice barleywine with an OG of 1.113. With the 2nd runnings and 2 pounds of DME I got a 4 gallon batch ESB with an OG of 1.060

My science project reminded me that I'm not a very good extract brewer...but that I can use extract (DME ) to get the gravity boosts I need to do parti-gyles and big beers.

I'll leave the extract brewing to the extract brewing experts and stick with what I do best.

I tried to take the high road...but I wouldn't drink it...

I might have 20 years ago when I first started brewing, but not today. I wanted to see if I could save time and brew with an extract recipe and some specialty grains. I consider myself a pretty good brewer with good sanitation skills, good process knowledge, fresh ingredients, great equpment...etc...and I wanted to see if i could save time a brew and extract pilsner that could get close to my AG pilsners. No where even close....I'd be embarrassed to give it to a homeless guy...enough said.

Back