Crazy Dank Citrus Bomb - Tell me what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachj9292

Reaction score
I made an ipa 5 days ago and it goes a little somethink like this:

6 lbs of pale ale malt
5 lbs of pilsner malt
1 lb of munich malt
.25 lbs of flaked barley

.25 oz of columbus 60 min
.5 citra 30 min
.5 centennial 15 min
.5 citra 15 min
.75 cascade 10 min
.5 centennial 5 min
.5 centennial 0 min
1 oz of citra dry hop
.5 columbus dry hop

Cali ale yeast
Fermented at 68

But here is the thing- I was off by ten gravity points because I am retarded and only did a single infusion (at 152 for a couple hours) and should have sparged or something. But because of this I added 1 lb of dme boiled for ten minutes in .5 gallons of water. And I even added a .5 oz of centennial to that.

After cooling I added to the fermenter and the bubbling calmed down by 24 hrs later. But anyway...What do you think of adding the hops to the boiled dme that l added to the fermenting wort? Would this have the characteristics of 10 min hopflavor or what?

..I was just feeling experiemental. Not sure why i did this

I would think as far as hop utilization it would have a very similar result as if you had done this in the original boil. Your still just "extracting" the acids and aroma from the hop, just in a separate batch. Almost like blending two beers as vintners do with wine. Should be interesting to see the results. My only concern would sanitary factors.

Going to be more fruity & tropical than dank & citrusy. It also looks underhopped to me from 15 minutes on.

I added 1 lb of dme boiled for ten minutes in .5 gallons of water. And I even added a .5 oz of centennial to that.

After cooling I added to the fermenter and the bubbling calmed down by 24 hrs later. But anyway...What do you think of adding the hops to the boiled dme that l added to the fermenting wort? Would this have the characteristics of 10 min hopflavor?

I did this once when I missed my OG on a second runnings and somehow lost my flavoring hops. It worked, which was a little surprising, since I wasn't sure how well 1/2 a gallon of high gravity wort would extract hop oils.

Well it tastes like a whole lot of citra. I think the half oz at thirty and the citra in the dry hop plays the major role in this beer.
The color i got from the munich was exactly what i wanted even though I did not have great efficiency in my mash. But as far as what the addition of the dme boiled with the centennial did, I cannot tell what it gave as far as aroma. All i smell and taste is the grapefruit of citra

Citra doesn't really smell or taste like grapefruit. You honestly get a lot of lychee fruit, melon, and mango from it. A lot of hops have heavy grapefruit traits, and that's why Citra sort of stands in a league of its own. It's very tropical, especially when used in the dryhop. Any grapefruit you got was 1st from the cascade, and 2nd from the centennial.

If it were mine, I would have taken every addition from 30 to flameout and tossed it in just after flameout and let it stand in the kettle hot for 30 minutes. 3-4 oz of moderate to high alpha hops in the whirpool/hop stand is a mind blowing experience.

Either way, great hop choices.

Back