Disturbing pellicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phished880

Reaction score
I have a Saison I brewed on fathers day and needed to add 1# on panela into ferment. I'm fermenting with wlp670 American farmhouse. When I got home from this weekend I noticed a pellicie. I just added the sugar syrup anyway. Is this a problem?

hey, no fair. I'm using WLP670, brewed about the same time, and I don't have a pellicle :(

Actually, iirc, pellicle formation is usually due to the presence of oxygen. Is your fermeter properly sealed?

How are your results from WLP670 so far? I have a tube coming in the mail.

What temp did you all ferment it at? The recommended range seems on the low end for saison.

Mine got a quick start. I pitched just the vial in 5.5 gal and it was off in < 8 hrs (started before bed, was going when I woke up). Haven't smelled any brettiness yet, but it definitely smells belgian. I am holding it at 75F, ambient temperature in my apt. I may play with the idea of putting it in an outside closet somehow, but day temps here in Riverside are ~95-105F, with nights at around 65F. I wonder, if I put it in a big tub of water, would the big swing in temperatures equalize to a non terrible temperature for yeast?

I've been excited to play with this strain. I usually make starters but maybe I will pitch it straight into like a 1.048 wort for a table saison then re-use the slurry for something heavier.

I will try to answer all questions. The Carboy is topped with foil. I did that in attempt to enhance funkiness.

I've been using absent temp about 75. In my observations the pellicile, while rather small appeared after krausen dropped. When I added sugar it seems that one half or Carboy still has some remaining while the other half it producing tiny ferment bubbles.

I was planning to only age the for 2-3 months and then begin another batch, higher gravity/ mash temp/ and fruit for next summer.

The aroma from fermented is one of earthy funk.

I will try to get some pics up soon.

Im going to brew with this yeast tomorrow. Would you recommend making a starter or pitching straight out of the vial? My OG should be about 1.052

Have you taken a gravity reading of your batch that was direct-pitched?

RJSkypala said:
Im going to brew with this yeast tomorrow. Would you recommend making a starter or pitching straight out of the vial? My OG should be about 1.052

Have you taken a gravity reading of your batch that was direct-pitched?

It was suggested to me not to make a starter. The reason was you would really only get substantial growth on the sacc not the Brett.

I then jumped to conclusions..... Who care if the sacc poops out at 1.025 or 1.010 there is still enough food for it to gimme some FUNK.

Back