Belgian Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I just ordered my second kit from Midwest Supplies, a Belgian Witbier that closely resembles Blue Moon (hopefully). Because this will only be my second batch, I'm trying to figure some things out. I've read that by adding only a certain amount of extract in the beginning and then adding the rest with about 15 minutes remaining it will facilitate in the beer's clarity. Just wondering what people think about doing this. I know it's an extract kit and it's very difficult to screw things up, but I wanted to make sure I don't do anything I'll regret if I decide to go with this method. I'd like to eventually go AG sometime in the near future, but for now, I'm sticking with the easy extract kits lol. Here's the recipe in case anyone is wondering, and thanks in advance.

6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract
8 oz. Carapils specialty grains
2 oz. Hallertau pellet hops
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 Tbsp bitter orange peel
Belgian Wit Wyeast Activator 3944
5 oz. priming sugar

Hi fellow brewers,
I've read that by adding only a certain amount of extract in the beginning and then adding the rest with about 15 minutes remaining it will facilitate in the beer's clarity

Not so much the clarity but the color. It might still be a bit hazy I'm guessing from the recipe. Your greatest weapon against that is a somewhat extended fermentation cycle. 5-6 weeks should help to clarify your beer.

Thanks for the advice. From that article, it looks like I only use 1 cup of the extract at the beginning and boil for 60 minutes then throw the rest in after my boil is done and let it cool? Also, it says reduce hops as this process will increase the bitterness by 25%. So I probably will only use about 75% of my hops in the boil.

Back