My new brewing Sink... where have you been all my life!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
So I've moved to a new home where I have installed a sink and had hot and cold water ran to the garage. I saw this used commercial sink on a local newspaper sales board. I found a one bay super large sink with counter, and a few days later located a sink sprayer. All and all, I'm into this setup about $300. But it's well worth the money. I guarantee if I ever move again it will be coming with me!

303cbd88.jpg

Very nice. I was able to score a 3 bay with counters on both sides, and the faucet w/ spray arm for $100. They're tearing down a local mall, and this one came from one of the food court restaurants. It's still sitting in my basement, un-plumbed though. How hard was it to hook up?

Sh*t Man! My eyes just about fell out! What a beauty,and what a good price. I'm using one of those plastic laundry sinks from HD. I have to remind myself, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors goods" Great find. Cheers

Yeah it makes clean up a breeze. Plumbing was easy if you know how to sweat copper and run abs. I've done enough diy home improvement to have it figures out. That three bay sounds like a real score. I've seen some but not that cheap. Wish I had :).

Jsut remember it's all out there used for a good price!

Thanks. Just got lucky...my dad knew the guy who got the demo rights to the mall. He was pulling 12" copper out of the fountains, bet he made a fortune! He was actually scrapping all the sinks. The one I got was the last one with the faucet now sawn off!

I've sweated copper, and pretty sure I can figure out the abs. My problem is I will have to change the drain routing to the other direction...but shouldn't be a biggie. Also, the fittings that the faucet thread on to were pretty rusted out. I haven't really looked, but do they sell them at the hardware store?

Mine came with everything I needed. I had to buy new seals and those had to come from an industrial plumbing supply store. Usually the threads are standard, but depending on the fixture it may have special hookups (again, I'm not a plumber ymmv).

So I've moved to a new home where I have installed a sink and had hot and cold water ran to the garage. I saw this used commercial sink on a local newspaper sales board. I found a one bay super large sink with counter, and a few days later located a sink sprayer. All and all, I'm into this setup about $300. But it's well worth the money. I guarantee if I ever move again it will be coming with me!

303cbd88.jpg

I am insanely jealous!!!!!!!! I have the sprayer part but what I would not give for a sink like that!!!!!!!!!

OOH, question! I've been looking at those type of sinks, how are they to plumb? The faucets come out of the back instead of the bottom like a residential sink. Is there room for the hookups with a regular plumbing setup where the lines come out of the wall lower down? I thought maybe a supply line with a garden hose type fitting would screw on the end of the faucet?

I won't declare it a beaut like others, but man that has to be a back saver.

Yeah, I found one of these guys on Craigslist from a former Elkay employee that had a double-bowl with left side counter ($4000 retail price) sitting unused. I picked up the sprayer/faucet from restaurantdepot.com.

Plumbing wise I had to run the plumbing from scratch, so I just hard plumbed the whole thing. The sink itself doesn't have a good way to attach it to the wall unless you start drilling holes in the back flanges and Jerry-rigging it. If it wasn't hard-plumbed or securely fastened to the wall it would shake around pretty good and not be very stable.

4987514343_432ecc4cfd.jpg

OOH, question! I've been looking at those type of sinks, how are they to plumb? The faucets come out of the back instead of the bottom like a residential sink. Is there room for the hookups with a regular plumbing setup where the lines come out of the wall lower down? I thought maybe a supply line with a garden hose type fitting would screw on the end of the faucet?

I bought this faucet and it does allow a garden hose attachment (need to converter) for my CFC.

http://www.therdstore.com/page/IFSES/FAUCETDRAIN/17-109W

Like I said, it's hard-plumbed and it is sort of the only way to securely fasten the faucet to the deck. It puts a lot of torque on the main assembly when you're cranking around on the sprayer trying to spray into the bottom of a keg/carboy/conical...

Best brewing investment I made though, because the sink/faucet cut down on my cleaning time quite significantly.

I bought this faucet and it does allow a garden hose attachment (need to converter) for my CFC.

http://www.therdstore.com/page/IFSES/FAUCETDRAIN/17-109W

Like I said, it's hard-plumbed and it is sort of the only way to securely fasten the faucet to the deck. It puts a lot of torque on the main assembly when you're cranking around on the sprayer trying to spray into the bottom of a keg/carboy/conical...

Best brewing investment I made though, because the sink/faucet cut down on my cleaning time quite significantly.

Thanks! If I got one I would just go with a standard faucet, to eliminate some of the torque that massive sprayer puts out.

it's totally not worth it without the sprayer! It would be like only looking at one of the 2 ladies in your avatar. It's nice, but together it has a more powerful effect! :)

it's totally not worth it without the sprayer! :)

Agreed! I have a a similiar stainless double sink and sprayer at my hunting cabin. The sprayer is the b@lls for cleaning and rinsing, i call it the hot water lance.:mug:

And as mentioned before, put another zero on your 300 investment if you had to "buy" it. Our unit came out of a school cafeteria rehab job and "fell off a truck".

Back