Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3725382282_4ec284ac9b.jpg

Would I be nuts to move the 60(55) minute hops to FWH and double the amount? Trying to get more flavor and a tad more IBUs but dodge making it too bitter for the malt bill to support. Maybe change the hop schedule to look something like this (5gallon batch):

.50 Centennial FWH
.25 centennial 35mins
.25 Cascades 20mins
.25 cascades 5mins

edit: I should add I'm not trying to convert anyone with this one, so if I break the "mass appeal" factor I don't mind. I'm going for something cheap/easy that will satisfy my craving for a slightly hoppier PA that isn't quite in the IPA($$) range.

How quickly could i bottle this?

I brewed it last Sunday and this Wed I'm off on Vacation for 2.5 weeks. My options are to bottle after 10 days in primary or rack it to secondary and bottle when i get back.

I'd rather bottle it before i go but don't want that to have any neg effects on this brew.

I won't speak for BM but I think you could find a recipe for a nice light APA if that's what you want. You could probably FWH this for a smoother bitterness but if you double it your going to significantly change the balance that he worked hard to perfect. It would work but I don't think it'd be the same beer.
Would I be nuts to move the 60(55) minute hops to FWH and double the amount? Trying to get more flavor and a tad more IBUs but dodge making it too bitter for the malt bill to support. Maybe change the hop schedule to look something like this (5gallon batch):

.50 Centennial FWH
.25 centennial 35mins
.25 Cascades 20mins
.25 cascades 5mins

edit: I should add I'm not trying to convert anyone with this one, so if I break the "mass appeal" factor I don't mind. I'm going for something cheap/easy that will satisfy my craving for a slightly hoppier PA that isn't quite in the IPA($$) range.

My partial mash version of this recipe (two pages up in this thread) turned out freaking great! Thanks BM!

I chose this recipe as the first one for my new kegging setup, and it came out beautifully. The first pour was crystal clear!
Photo%20120.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to show it off :)... and also mention that one should definitely serve this around 40-45 F. Any colder and the flavor suffers noticeably.

On the 5 gallon recipe, it calls for 6.57 gallon boil size and 5.50 gallon batch size. Does this mean I need to collect 6.57 gallons of wort before the boil, which then after the hour in the boil it will have evaporated down to 5.50 gallons?

On the 5 gallon recipe, it calls for 6.57 gallon boil size and 5.50 gallon batch size. Does this mean I need to collect 6.57 gallons of wort before the boil, which then after the hour in the boil it will have evaporated down to 5.50 gallons?

Boil off rates will vary but essentially...yes.

I usually shoot for a 7 gallon pre-boil and boil down to 5.5 gallons. You'll lose some beer to trub...that's the reason for the extra .5 gallons.

This is going to be my 2nd brew. It looks really simple and cheap to make. Also all the comments have been really good about it so I'm feeling confident. It might even be my next 3 just so I can stock up on some good beer before I start either a Bourbon porter/stout or Barley Wine Strong Ale.

I do have a question though if someone could help a newbie out. My local homebrew store carries mostly wine making supplies but they do have some beer making stuff. They have all the stuff to make the extract version except they dont have Centennial hops. They told me they could order just about anything if I gave them a special order. As of now I'm thinking all cascade because of the posts I've read and I'm going there in the morning and I dont want to wait for an order to come in right now. They have these hops in stock Cascade, Spalt, Simcoe, Liberty, Kent Goldings, Traditional, Perle, and Saaz. Would one of these be a good replacement for Centennial or should I just stick with all Cascade?

...They have these hops in stock Cascade, Spalt, Simcoe, Liberty, Kent Goldings, Traditional, Perle, and Saaz. Would one of these be a good replacement for Centennial or should I just stick with all Cascade?

I do like Simcoe as a sub, but you may need to tweak the amount due to the Alpha difference.

I'm trying this as my first all-grain and I have some grain questions (forgive my ignorance)

Pale Malt (2 Row) - Is "Golden Promis Pale Malt" the same thing or close enough?

Cara-Pils/Dextrine - Is Belgian Cara-Pils (5 - 10°L) the same? This is belgian, but beersmith shows it as US

Caramel/Crystal Malt(10L) - Is German "Cara-Foam" Light Crystal Malt (10°L) ok? Same question as above...this is German but beersmith shows US.

I'm just confused how the grains from this recipe translate to what I'm actually going to be buying. Here is a link to my LHBS that I'm going to visit tomorrow, in case I'm wrong on any of the above you can use this to point me in the right direction :) Thanks for the help!

Grain

Long time lurker, first time poster. Gotta say, this is one REALLY tasty brew. I made the extract version and Wyeast 1056 (there something in the notty I just don't like...vinegary aftertaste?), and I am genuinely scared to share because it will be come a neighborhood favorite. :mug:
Yummy

I made the extract version of this about a little under a year ago and decided to give the all-grain version a try. I brewed it on Sunday and the beer is currently experiencing an extremely active fermentation. I hope it tastes as good as it did the last time!

Just wanted to add that I made this last batch for a wedding and it was very popular! We had 3 beers on tap and this one had 4 gallons gone by the end of the reception. On top of that, I entered it in a statewide comp and won a bronze medal!

I will be brewing up a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday.

In just 8 weeks, we will be participating in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta This should be just right by then. 10 days of Balloons, Babes, Brats and Beer. :mug: I have been preparing for the event with an Irish Red Ale and a Robust Porter. I think this blond will make a nice balance for everyone. And if anyone don't like what I got, screw 'em, let them drink champagne. I think I will call this beer, "Lighter Than Air Blonde".

I will be brewing up a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday.

In just 8 weeks, we will be participating in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta This should be just right by then. 10 days of Balloons, Babes, Brats and Beer. :mug: I have been preparing for the event with an Irish Red Ale and a Robust Porter. I think this blond will make a nice balance for everyone. And if anyone don't like what I got, screw 'em, let them drink champagne. I think I will call this beer, "Lighter Than Air Blonde".

You need to look up BrewPastor. He has the balloon launch right out his back porch if I'm not mistaken.

You need to look up BrewPastor. He has the balloon launch right out his back porch if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, we have chatted here some. Have yet to meet face to face tho.

I'm brewing the extract version but could not get Extra Light DME at the LHBS. I bought just regular Light DME. Think it will hurt the light color?

I'm trying this as my first all-grain and I have some grain questions (forgive my ignorance)

Pale Malt (2 Row) - Is "Golden Promis Pale Malt" the same thing or close enough?

Cara-Pils/Dextrine - Is Belgian Cara-Pils (5 - 10°L) the same? This is belgian, but beersmith shows it as US

Caramel/Crystal Malt(10L) - Is German "Cara-Foam" Light Crystal Malt (10°L) ok? Same question as above...this is German but beersmith shows US.

I'm just confused how the grains from this recipe translate to what I'm actually going to be buying. Here is a link to my LHBS that I'm going to visit tomorrow, in case I'm wrong on any of the above you can use this to point me in the right direction :) Thanks for the help!

Grain

Hi bdaddy

I had a look at the website you posted.

They sell "Domestic Two-Row Pale (1.5°) per lb." which is what you want. Golden Promise is an English style malt which is similar, but a slightly different flavor profile that what this recipe calls for.

The Belgian Cara-Pils is fine.. except that website lists it as being a bit darker compared to other brands of cara-pils.

The German cara-foam I'm not sure about. I think they've mis-labeled it on the website... it probably should say "Carahell" which is 10L crystal and would be perfect for this recipe. Actual german cara-foam is about 2L in color. You might want to call them and clarify what it is.

Hope thats not too confusing!

Only recently have I stated to appreciate light beers with subtle flavors and this recipie turned out great. Perfect summertime beer.

I fermented at 70F in primary for two weeks and one week in the bottle. No strange flavors and it's almost totally clear. Got better than expected efficiency. The only problem is increased ABV of 5% comes through in the taste a bit. I'm thinking of a little coriander for the next batch. And maybe keeping the fermentation temp a little lower.

This recipe also seems like a nice clean slate for tweaks and changes to personalize taste. Anyone make changes they really like?

Just wanted to thank you for the easy and great recipe. I brewed this a little over a month ago and its been bottled almost two weeks. I tried one last night and I was surprised that it was perfectly carbed and tasted wonderful. The best all grain effort to date. I can't wait to try it after another week in the bottle and some time in the fridge. I need to get another batch going soon so I can enjoy it all through football season.

Brewed 10 gals. of the extract version on Sunday. The fermenters are bubbling nicely. I had to use Light DME instead of Extra Light DME. It still looked very light colored but we might have to call it a "Dirty Blonde". I can't wait to try the finished product.

just tried my first AG batch of this beer, bottled 4/23/09. All I can say is, WOW. I'd made several PM batches and this outshines them by far. It's a completely different beer.

I made this beer as my first All Grain. The results are a little disappointing. The beer has great color, and nice carbonation. The flavor is weak and unremarkable with a funny twang thing at the end. Kind of like a sour paper taste. There is almost no hop flavors or aroma.

I used the 5 gallon all grain recipe, and followed as closely as possible. The wife picked up the recipe from the brew shop and all of the grain was in one bag.

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

Should I have steeped the Cara-Pils and Crystal separately? I assumed not as they were in one bag . I dumped the grain into the mash tun and hit the mash temps. Held it at 153 for the time. I sparged at 195 degrees. I had a problem with a stuck sparge too, but I got pretty good extraction.

I brewed this on July 28th, and I kegged it on August 9th. It's been cold crashed and carbed in a keezer. I know this beer is still green, and I'm going to give it some time to prime up, but of all the beers that I've brewed, this is my least favorite.

Part of learning is doing and I have the ingredients to make another batch, but I'd like to figure out what (if anything) went wrong with this batch.

I think I messed up the process after I pulled the first mash run, I dumped in 3 gallons of 198 degree water, would this screw up the taste?

Thanks ;)

So... would that explain the lack of hop flavor and/or aroma? Will the general flavor of the beer improve with time? Would dry hopping get this brew back on track?

I thought that I had to get the TUN temp up to 178 or so for mash out, so the sparge temp was that high.

Thanks BM.... I'm going to take another run at this recipe in a week or so, guess I need to review my process.

Ok. I brewed this (for the second time-1st time turned out awesome) but with pilsner malt instead of pale 2 row (LHBS out of 2 row entirely :mad:). it has a very nopticable pilsner taste that is kind of nasty - like a budweiser with more of a nasty kick to it. I've let it age for 2 months but it still is undrinkably sharp tasting to me. FG is 1.008. I'm thinking about adding fruit juice to sweeten it up and hopefully make it drinkable. Any suggestions on what fruit would be best?

I converted this into a partial mash:

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon) + igloo cooler(2 Gallon)

Ingredients
3.00 lb AHS - Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract (2.3 SRM) Extract 42.86 %
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 32.14 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.71 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.30 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (55 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (35 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.02 %
Bitterness: 22.8 IBU
Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.7 SRM

Mash
60 min
5.50 qt of water at 166.8 F
Mash temp 150.0 F

Sparge
10 Min
Sparge Water: 1.98 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

*** add LME at flame out(15 min)

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Just brewed up another batch of this last weekend. Used S-04 instead of #1099 (whitbread.) Close to a week in the bucket and it tastes delicious, already down to 1.008! Last batch finished around there too. In celebration of the new batch, here's some beer pr0n from the last batch I should have posted already. It's a bit over-carbed :eek:

08-27-2009_007.jpg

Just brewed up another batch of this last weekend. Used S-04 instead of #1099 (whitbread.) Close to a week in the bucket and it tastes delicious, already down to 1.008! Last batch finished around there too. In celebration of the new batch, here's some beer pr0n from the last batch I should have posted already. It's a bit over-carbed :eek:

08-27-2009_007.jpg

That there is purty.

My SWMBO has discovered a Blueberry Lager called Blue Dog. She wants me to make something like that. I have 10 gals of this Centennial Blonde ready to bottle this weekend. What do you think about taking part of this batch, maybe 2-3 gallons, and just adding some blueberry extract flavoring to the bottling bucket? If that will work, then how much extract per gallon would be the recommendation?

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

just curious and wondering, is there a reason you left the crystal malt and vienna out of the extract version? also, is the pound of cara-pils/dextrine grain or the malto-dextrine powder? if its the grain, does it make a difference if you use the malto-dextrine instead? how much of the powder shoudl you use instead? thanks

When I picked up the specialty grains for this the other day and realized (too late) that I doubled the amounts for a 10 gallon batch (2.5 # Vienna, 2 # Cara-pils, 2 # C-10). The grains are uncruhsed but are all mixed in 1 bag. So...I was thinking of reducing the base malt (MO) by 2# to make up for it. I know this will now be a different beer but will it be significantly different with all those specialty grains? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

I did an extract version of this a while ago and loved it. I brought some out last night and my brother and his wife loved it. This is after I brewed my first undrinkable batch...a wit.... for their wedding...oof. The wit tasted like an albuterol inhaler.

I want to try a PM version of this.

Here is what I got with some quick hand calculations

3lb extra light LME (wanted 2.75lb but AHS only goes down to 3)
2.5lb 2 Row
.75lb Carapils
.5lb crystal 10
.5lb vienna

Looks good to me, Do I need to make any adjustments?

Edit *I'm blind

I'm brewing this tomorrow, my HBS didn’t have Centennial pellets, but they had whole hops. I have never used whole leaf before. Do I just throw them in following the recipe?

Last weekend, we bottled 10 gallons of the extract version of this. We added blueberry extract to 2 gallons and got about 20 bottles for my SWMBO. I hope we did not ruin 2 gallons of great beer.

Last weekend, we also brewed our first batch of all grain with this recipe. We started with 12 gallons pre-boil and the pre-boil SG was low at 1.033 or so. So we boiled for an extra 30 minutes and delayed the last hop additions. We boiled down to 8 gallons and had a OG of 1.042. So that should work.

Yesterday we racked it to secondaries and the SG was down to 1.005. Nice! We took half the batch (4 gal.) and racked it onto some nice roasted Hatch (New Mexico) green chiles. That will sit for 2 more weeks and then into bottles. Esta cerveza llame "El Diablito Verde" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/green-chile-beer-134940/

I've been brewing all grain for about a year now. All the brews I've made have been good but this is the one that stands way above the rest.

I just wanted to go on record and say thanks for the work on this BierMuncher. Simply outstanding....

If you were standing here, I'd buy you a brew! :mug:

I made 10 gallons of this for a buddy's 30th Birthday and served this last Sunday night. It was a hit with all involved. I only made two mistakes:

1. Tried to force carb over to short a period of time (4 days)... Yes Bobby_M, poor planning on my part of course. This did however give us an opportunity to enjoy the great head retention of this beer.

2. I didn't make 20 gallons ;). This went quick even though I had to man the kegerator to adjust pressure and pour.

Great beer! Just used the recipe yesterday to teach someone I met at the party about AG brewing. Again 10 gallons, this time for personal consumption and the odd small gathering. And to do the carb thing over. I think set it and forget it Bobby_M. Now does anyone have a gas manifold lying around they want to sell cheap?

Thanks BierMuncher... great beer.

Cheers,
Todd

Back