The microwave and re-hydrating yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is probably just the worrier in me, but I just thought I'd check to be safe.

When I re-hydrate now, I put 1/2 a cup of water into a glass measuring cup, place a piece of plastic wrap over it, and nuke the bad boy for a few minutes to get a nice boil going. Then I let it cool while the wort is boiling, pitch the packet at ~90F and proceed as normal.

Any problems w/ this? Seems like the microwave + the act of boiling the water should make it plenty sanitary, no?

That's what I used to do. Worked just fine. 212F is 212F. :)

Been there done that. I've even taken it out of the fridge, carbon filtered, and nuked it for 12 secs to get it up to temp. No problems.

Just be careful boiling water in a microwave as it can become superheated and "explode" or rapidly boil once something dissipates the energy. This happened to me a few weeks ago and luckily the door was closed but it definately made a very loud noise and boiling water shot everywhere in the microwave and luckily not on my face. It's a rather well known phenomenon but something I forgot when going through all the steps for making beer.

Back