Fermented too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShameBrews

Reaction score
I brewed a stout with a few unusual ingredients such as coffee and chocolate May 20th. Noticeable fermentation had stopped within the first 4 days or so, but today (June 11th) it was bubbling fairly regularly again. It is also a little lighter than it was. Has anyone else had this happen before? Does this mean it is rotting?

No, it isn't rotting, especially if you haven't exposed it to air. If it has maintained sanitary conditions with an adequate airlock, etc, it's probably fine. It may have stalled because of a temperature change or something similar, and a warmer temperature may have increased noticeable activity again. A much more accurate method of knowing when a beer is "done," instead of the airlock activity, is the use of a hydrometer. It will tell you how much dissolved sugar and the like is in solution, and when your hydrometer readings are the same over a few day period, you'll know it's done. This is somewhat simplified, but really, invest in a hydrometer.

Whether you've fermented "too long" or not is a slightly different topic. Some people say that yeast autolysis occurs after about 4-5 weeks of the wort sitting on the yeast cake. Other people, including possibly those who may yet post, go by a pretty firm 4 weeks in fermentation schedule. Get a hydrometer, if it tells you that your specific gravity is below 1.015ish, you should be fine to bottle pretty soon.

I dont think it is rotting. It has been in the fermenter for about 3 weeks. Many people on this site leave it in the primary for well over a month. It's most likely just some CO2 escaping from a temp change, pressure change, etc. I'm sure someone else will confirm this or tell me to stop offering bad advice :mug:

Why bottle tomorrow to be sure it isnt rotting? I don't follow.

Time is your friend.

I left a stout in primary for over 8 months, and it turned out to be one of the best beers Ive ever made!

Actually tomorrow was my scheduled bottling date anyway. 8 months seems a little long for me, although I'm sure it was delicious.

Okay for anyone who is interested it was definitely ruined. I didn't bottle it but I did drink some to punish myself for messing it up and it tasted like I imagine it would taste if I had fermented it with a dead hooker submerged in it.

Ruined is a relative term. Some experiments can be really nasty until the flavors stop fighting. Consider racking it and leaving it in a cool spot until the Fall.

Okay for anyone who is interested it was definitely ruined. I didn't bottle it but I did drink some to punish myself for messing it up and it tasted like I imagine it would taste if I had fermented it with a dead hooker submerged in it.

That reminds me of spring break '97...crazy times

Damn.... I know that flavor well.... it would have been kick ass in about 8 months.

David it sounds like that would have been a chance but this truly seemed rancid so I dumped it. Next time I have a beer I am questioning I will take your advice and see what happens. Thanks.

:rockin:Dubbel 7 weeks in he primary this Sunday, not even the least bit concerned about autolysis, and it has been at about a steady 75 degrees for the last 5 weeks! Its gonna ROCK!!!

Back