Brewing in Toledo, Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinfore

Reaction score
does anyone brew in the Toledo area? I'm new to the area and I'm looking for someone to brew with. I have an all grain system and I can do 10 gallons at one time. So if someone wants to hang out an brew let me know

Hey, i'm about 50 miles east of toledo :) just starting brewing also! getting ahead on my research and stuff first.

Maybe once it warms up a little.

I put myself on hiatus until it gets a little less windy. Since I brew in the driveway, 25 mph winds bother me a little.;)

PM me later in the month if you are still interested.

Enjoy!

Hey, I've been brewing for about 5 years and just switched to all grain this past Christmas with 5 batches under my belt. Let's trade beer some time.

Sounds good. I just have a vanilla porter right now but I'm looking to brew something soon.

im in huron oh , aboout 45 mins east , havent tryed the full gran ,do to room and cost . would love to see how it works

Have you checked out titgemiers yet? Rough neighborhood, but really good folks work there. They may be able to help with groups or people in the area.

I am 20 miles west down the turnpike in Wauseon.

+1 on Titgemeiers. I work in the warehouse district of downtown Tole-duh and they're maybe 5 minutes away. Take the Trail out and hang a left on Western and it's on the left before you pass a school. The owner is an avid homebrewer and loves to talk brew.

I work in downtown and live 1/2 way between Perrysburg and Woodville on Rt. 20.

Also in South Toledo, on the border between a nice clean-cut neighborhood and the rough neighborhood down the way @ Western.

Titgemeiers is DEFINITELY the ****. Tom (I think is the owner's name) is very knowledgeable, very approachable on matters relating to home brew, and definitely the guy to go to.

I try to drive all my business in buying gear and materials his way. I made the mistake of buying a grain mill from a guy at the shop in Dundee, MI, who acted like I was interrupting his basement wank-a-thon session or something to pop $130 on a grain mill, and I was instantly disappointed I didn't go see Tom instead.

Also in South Toledo, on the border between a nice clean-cut neighborhood and the rough neighborhood down the way @ Western.

Titgemeiers is DEFINITELY the ****. Tom (I think is the owner's name) is very knowledgeable, very approachable on matters relating to home brew, and definitely the guy to go to.

I try to drive all my business in buying gear and materials his way. I made the mistake of buying a grain mill from a guy at the shop in Dundee, MI, who acted like I was interrupting his basement wank-a-thon session or something to pop $130 on a grain mill, and I was instantly disappointed I didn't go see Tom instead.

Jake, I made the same mistake, but got out without buying anything. The kid barely raised his face from texting on his phone, and then got snotty when I asked a couple nooby questions. Have not been back, and have bought at Titge's several times.

Newer brewer here. Mostly brew extract batches with a friend of mine. Just did my first all grain batch this weekend. Good to see others in the area doing this hobby.

South end right on the border to Maume, here. I'm fortunate enough to live ten minutes away from Titgemeiers.

After going back and forth for about a year now I'm ready to take the plunge anyone have time to help a rookie get started, I'd be willing to buy a few rounds in exchange for some advice.

I'm in central ohio these days but from the carey, oh area. there is a homebrew club up that way, MALTZ i believe. though the are based out of the marion area i think. There has to be a toledo/bg/findlay area homebrew club, right?

There is also bootleggers out in bg. never been there but have heard good things.

If you are going to make a drive to the state up north you might as well pass that place in dundee and find home brew adventures. You will drool, and the people are great. I stop on the rare occurrence i have to drive to traverse city for work.

if there isn't a homebrew club up there, someone should organize one. SODZ here in columbus, helps work all the beer festivals, has competitions, and is a great place to share and talk homebrew.

I do miss NW ohio

Don't miss it too much my friend. Columbus is the place to be if you want a decent job! I live not far from BG but I don't go there very often. I use Titgemeiers locally and Amazon for my supplies.

Has anyone tried to clone this beer. I can't get a response from them. It seems like a light pilsner. Im looking to make something similar for my session women drinkers.

If you want to learn how to clone Buckeye Beer, head down to the brewery for a pint. I'd bet the owner would be much more obliged to supply a paying customer with some hints, as opposed to some dude emailing him (I assume by 'not getting a response', you're not asking in person).

He may not give you all the pieces, but he may give you enough to arrive at a decent conclusion.

As far as Toledo Homebrew clubs, The Glass City Mashers seems pretty established. $25 annual dues, monthly meetings at The Attic on Adams. Every month they do a meeting to discuss a different BJCP style. and of course, drink beer. I've also heard of brew outs they do, but not attended them.

If you want to learn how to clone Buckeye Beer, head down to the brewery for a pint. I'd bet the owner would be much more obliged to supply a paying customer with some hints, as opposed to some dude emailing him (I assume by 'not getting a response', you're not asking in person).

He may not give you all the pieces, but he may give you enough to arrive at a decent conclusion.

I did explain in my email to the brewmaster that i was a regular customer. But you are right, in-person is better. That was my plan next time i get to Toledo. I just basically asked him what style it was and how about some ideas to get close..

Hey guys, just want to throw something out there real quick. I'm opening a brewery downtown this year, and I want to promote Toledo through the beer industry.

This is not my first business, but it definitely is my first brewery :)

I'm having a meeting with my investors at the end of this month, and then I will be leasing the building in May. Right now the choice is either right across the street from Packo's on Superior, or just down a few blocks on Ontario.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing a private monthly homebrew competition for local brewers, so look out for that!

It will be about 4-6 months before the doors open to the public. I have two year-round recipes and six seasonals. I've got 2 taps at the Bier Stube and I'm close to working something out with the Andersons and Josephs Beverage Center. I'll be developing the house beer for the Bier Stube.

Spread the word, and get excited, because I can't wait to serve this city and bring some more life to it. I'll have an article in the city paper later this month, as well.

Hey guys, just want to throw something out there real quick. I'm opening a brewery downtown this year, and I want to promote Toledo through the beer industry.

This is not my first business, but it definitely is my first brewery :)

I'm having a meeting with my investors at the end of this month, and then I will be leasing the building in May. Right now the choice is either right across the street from Packo's on Superior, or just down a few blocks on Ontario.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing a private monthly homebrew competition for local brewers, so look out for that!

It will be about 4-6 months before the doors open to the public. I have two year-round recipes and six seasonals. I've got 2 taps at the Bier Stube and I'm close to working something out with the Andersons and Josephs Beverage Center. I'll be developing the house beer for the Bier Stube.

Spread the word, and get excited, because I can't wait to serve this city and bring some more life to it. I'll have an article in the city paper later this month, as well.

Far out! I'm about a block away from Packos so I can stop in for a lunchtime brew! Let us know when you're closer to opening and I'll get as much business coming as I can for you man! I don't know tons of people but I do know quite a few!

Far out! I'm about a block away from Packos so I can stop in for a lunchtime brew! Let us know when you're closer to opening and I'll get as much business coming as I can for you man! I don't know tons of people but I do know quite a few!

Excellent! I'll definitely keep this forum updated! Bring everyone you can! Toledo needs more good beer, and we definitely need more life in downtown. This city isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I definitely want to build something that everyone can be proud of.

Depending on how long it takes to get the permits (Most of the forms are complete, just need to be sent after I get into the building), I'll be looking to open the doors in August or September. Just in time to catch the tail end of baseball season, and to prepare for hockey season.

Cheers!
:mug:

Excellent! I'll definitely keep this forum updated! Bring everyone you can! Toledo needs more good beer, and we definitely need more life in downtown. This city isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and I definitely want to build something that everyone can be proud of.

Depending on how long it takes to get the permits (Most of the forms are complete, just need to be sent after I get into the building), I'll be looking to open the doors in August or September. Just in time to catch the tail end of baseball season, and to prepare for hockey season.

Cheers!
:mug:

Sweet. I work with a good half dozen craft beer drinkers and a couple BMC sponges. I'm sure they'll all be happy to give you a few $!

Quick Update!

I'm getting ready to finalize the lease either this week or next.

We'll be at 119 N. Ontario Street.

This building is about twice the square footage of the one on Superior and is in much better condition for just about the same rental rate. It's still within walking distance of the Hens and the Walleye, so it would have been dumb to pass it up.

I'm working with the realtor on getting a special use permit from the zoning commission, and once that's approved, we'll be moving in.

Quick Update!

This building is about twice the square footage of the one on Superior and is in much better condition for just about the same rental rate. It's still within walking distance of the Hens and the Walleye, so it would have been dumb to pass it up.

I'm working with the realtor on getting a special use permit from the zoning commission, and once that's approved, we'll be moving in.

Great, looking forward to stopping in . Now i will have an option other than Maumee Bay. Look forward to meeting you. I really appreciate the updates...keep them coming.
Mike from Sandusky

Quick Update!

Sweet! Looking forward to this! Is this going to be more of a bar or more of a restaurant like Maumee Bay? Either way, the Toledo area is due for at least a few more breweries.

Also please let us know when you're going to be hiring!

Quick Update!

Sweet! That's literally right behind the building where I work now! I'm on N Erie between Washington & Monroe!

Alright, The lease is going to be contingent on the zoning commission. It could take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to get an affirmative answer from them. If they decline the request, then we'll have to go for a full-on rezoning request, which could take the same amount of time. This isn't a big deal, though, because it will give me some extra time to purchase equipment without needing to pay rent.

Depending on how long this all takes, and the license with the Feds/State/Local govt, we may be looking at an opening date in early 2014.

In the meantime, we'll be setting up a KickStarter campaign to raise some extra capital for a brewing system buildout. If any of you are interested, I can direct you to that when it's up and running.

Thanks for the interest and support! Even though it may take a little longer than anticipated, we WILL be opening before the end of 2014. I've put too much time and money into this to turn back now.

The website is under construction at the moment, but will be glasscitybeer[dot]com

Alright, The lease is going to be contingent on the zoning commission. It could take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks to get an affirmative answer from them. If they decline the request, then we'll have to go for a full-on rezoning request, which could take the same amount of time. This isn't a big deal, though, because it will give me some extra time to purchase equipment without needing to pay rent.

Depending on how long this all takes, and the license with the Feds/State/Local govt, we may be looking at an opening date in early 2014.

In the meantime, we'll be setting up a KickStarter campaign to raise some extra capital for a brewing system buildout. If any of you are interested, I can direct you to that when it's up and running.

Thanks for the interest and support! Even though it may take a little longer than anticipated, we WILL be opening before the end of 2014. I've put too much time and money into this to turn back now.

The website is under construction at the moment, but will be glasscitybeer[dot]com

Hells yeah! Let us know so we can all spread the word!

Best of luck to you and let us know if/how we can help!

Sweet! Looking forward to this! Is this going to be more of a bar or more of a restaurant like Maumee Bay? Either way, the Toledo area is due for at least a few more breweries.

Also please let us know when you're going to be hiring!

We're going to be opening as strictly a bar without food. We'll add a kitchen as soon as we possibly can, and the addition of a kitchen in our plan adds about $35k to the startup costs. I'd rather save that money for working capital right now and allow patrons to bring outside food in.

I'll keep posting here and on fb to keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

Back