First Wort Hop - Extract Brewer Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjacobs

Reaction score
Just opened my first IPA recipe and I'm really liking it. There are a couple of things I'd like to fine tune for my next crack at this recipe.

I've been reading about FWH - the problem is, all the info I've seen on this so far is for AG brewers. I'm still doing extract brewing - but hope to do my first AG batch within the next 6 months or so. Does anyone have information on how to do FWH in an extract batch? There are a couple of options that I thought of, but I'm not sure which will be the best approach:

1) After steeping specialty grains, add the hops immediately prior to the wort coming to a boil. Add the LME/DME after the wort comes to a boil

2) Add the hops while steeping the specialty grains - though I suppose this would be a mash hop and not a FWH (though I'm not clear on what the difference would be from a taste standpoint)

3) While steeping the grains, boil a small amount of water and DME in a separate pot. After the grains have steeped, pour in the boiling water/DME and add the FWH. Bring wort to a boil and add the remainder of the LME/DME.

4) After steeping the grains and prior to boiling, add a small portion of DME/LME to the pot and add the FWH

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be the best approach? I don't have a clear understanding of how/why adding FWH instead of a 60 minute addition preserves some hop flavor while still contributing significantly to the final IBUs. If it's due to (or at least related to) the sugars from base grains (or in my case LME), then option 1 or 4 might be the best approach. If it's completely unrelated to the sugars from the grains, then it seems like any of these options might be viable.

Any help you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks!

I'd say to give #1 or #2 a try and see what happens. #1 sounds most analagous, except that you might also need to give the wort a "hop rest" to simulate sparging time. #2 is not very similar to a mash hop, unless you remove the hops along with the steeping grains.

If you do not do full wort boils, you also have that to consider.

TL

Thanks for the help - I was thinking #1 looked best as well. How long would you recommend a "hop rest"?

I'm not doing full boils - how will this affect things?

Anyone else have an opinion?

Back