Leaf hops in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Brewed an Amber, used 1 oz Goldings leaf Hops 5% aa at 30 min (other hop pellet additions at 60, 15, flame out). I ran out of cheese cloth or any other filter for that matter and my siphon kept getting clogged so I just dumped the beer in the fermenter with the leaf hops still in the beer. I feel the answer to this question is RDWHAHB, but will there be any strange flavors because of this?

I wouldn't worry so much about the hops in the fermenter as the hot and cold break you probably poured in with them- a little break material is necessary for the yeast but all of it from the boil is too much and may lead to clarity problems- I'd also assume that you are eventually gonna have the same problem again when you try to rack the beer to the secondary/keg/bottling bucket

yah I am going to buy some more filters though when I rack to secondary...

Don't worry about the break material man...it'll become yeast nutrients plus it'll flocculate out with time and temp (ie cold crash it) the same thing will happen with the hops.....so I wouldn't worry about a filter for racking....just don't get greedy and suck it all up.

Enjoy :D

Ya, don't worry. Just enjoying a fantastic ESB where I used mostly leaf and just hucked it all in the primary. Little tricky transferring it to second due to all the crud, but it all went well and tastes great. :mug:

Don't worry about the break material man...it'll become yeast nutrients plus it'll flocculate out with time and temp (ie cold crash it) the same thing will happen with the hops.....so I wouldn't worry about a filter for racking....just don't get greedy and suck it all up.

Enjoy :D

i support this post!

I don't know where the idea that hops are bad for beer came from but they are not. Hops are GOOD FOR BEER.

I rarely strain anymore, unless I'm using a ton of leaf hops that will take up too much room in my fermenter. My beers are crystal clear, and I'm happy with them. I usually just dump all of the wort in primary. All of the hops and break material falls out with the flocculated yeast as trub anyway.

Cool I figured the answer was RDWHAHB, sorry for wasting yall's time...

Back