Hydroponically Growing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it could be done. Someone I knew used to grow something else hydroponically. I imagine though you'd have to have yourself one hell of a large unit. Hops like to grow upwards and outwards like a vine. Doesn't seem like it would be very practical. I am not the most informed on hydroponics though so what the heck do I know.

:tank:

heheh... hops. Yeah right. If I'm going to invest all that money in hydroponics... ummmm... nevermind. I could only imagine what the neighbors would think. LMAO

:mug:

On the show "The Works", when they covered beer, they showed a company that is growing hops hydroponically.

That would be some serious dedication.
I'd imagine that in that situation you'd have to grow only a single variety of hop (something multi-purpose, like Cascade) and watch the bines very carefully. Honestly I think it might be too much work to be worth the cash.

On the show "The Works", when they covered beer, they showed a company that is growing hops hydroponically.

this is what sparked my interest about doing it, they use clones similar to how other plants are grown hydroponically. it becomes a sort of perpetual harvest because you can continuously cut clones while continuously harvesting mature hops... all i need now is someone to send me a clone...:D

Back