Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I show people I know pictures of what I do and ...

well, you know. When people express interest they are only being polite. If you don't want to see photos of their kids (and, admit it, you don't) then they *really* don't want to see photos of your beer.

After making a temp controlled fridge and really watching my pitching rate, my friends say "your beer is actually good now". Its kind of like telling someone, "hey your not fat anymore" sad part is, both statements are correct....

Ha ha ********... my mates are all like i couldn't be more dis interested in your home brew but they the first ones to ask for a taste.. Hmmm

loftybrewer said:
"Wait, you can do that?"

My response, in retrospect: "Yes, and you can also make your own spaghetti sauce if you want to. I make yoghurt, does that freak you out?"

Yes. Yes it does.

people at work always tell me "figures... i mean, you make your own beer, you grow your own food, you build your own furniture. do you ever do anything fun?" it's always kinda funny to me because all those thing are exactly the things i think are fun. people make home brewing out to be a chore.

Never put it together. I haven't shaved in 11 months so I'm pretty bearded now. I recycle everything. Compost everything I can. I was wondering why when someone brought up their neighbor raising chickens at a little department work lunch, they all looked my way.

tugbucket said:
Never put it together. I haven't shaved in 11 months so I'm pretty bearded now. I recycle everything. Compost everything I can. I was wondering why when someone brought up their neighbor raising chickens at a little department work lunch, they all looked my way.

Lolz
I have chickens.

:smack:

This reminds me of a recent one I got: "I know dark beers are fermented different than light ones, what's the diference?":smack:

Reminds me when I was working at a brewpub, I used to get asked with some regularity, "Don't you make any regular beer?"

Sometimes I'd look at them like they had three heads. Sometimes I'd remind them that my beer WAS regular beer -- the BMC crap they were referring to is filled with adjuncts that would violate the German Beer Purity law. Most of the time I'd say, "I see your glass is empty. Would you like another?"

I don't think I've ever gotten a response any more annoying than a request for a batch that tastes like Miller or Coors lite. Most people are generally interested in the how and why of homebrewing.

"Wouldn't it be easier to just add Vodka"
"Can you make whiskey, too?"
"My favorite beer is (bmc). Can you make that?"
That's just off top my head. There's others.

I would have to say the most annoying response I've gotten has been, "So after you boil it's ready?"...no.

Though the best response I got was from an AC repair man when I told him I made my own beer and he was like wow that's awesome! I'm not worthy (speak in Garth/Wayne voice).

Hopzilla said:
I would have to say the most annoying response I've gotten has been, "So after you boil it's ready?"...no.

Though the best response I got was from an AC repair man when I told him I made my own beer and he was like wow that's awesome! I'm not worthy (speak in Garth/Wayne voice).

When my friends ask me this I tell them here have a sip off the test jar. They go and take a giant swig of it and usually spit it out... Lol

people always ask me the same thing. and I get a lot of 'shine comments & "don't get caught!" kind of nonsense.

When my friends ask me this I tell them here have a sip off the test jar. They go and take a giant swig of it and usually spit it out... Lol
I have done the same thing many times! nothing like the surprise when they taste the finished product though!

I don't think I've ever gotten a response any more annoying than a request for a batch that tastes like Miller or Coors lite. Most people are generally interested in the how and why of homebrewing.

I've had 2 co-workers, out of 10, ask the very same thing.
They aren't my buddies any more.:D

pb

My friends friend tries awesome DIPA. Wow this actually tastes good... How do I know you didn't just take off the label of a regular beer?

corkybstewart said:

Go piss in a can and hand it to them. Probably wont know the difference. (Joking of course)

jc5066 said:
Go piss in a can and hand it to them. Probably wont know the difference. (Joking of course)

I'd say piss in a seltzer bottle, carb and chill then serve...

I told a friend by email how much I was enjoying my Citra pale ale.

He responded, "Isn't that against a man law to put fruit in your beer?"

I told a friend by email how much I was enjoying my Citra pale ale.

He responded, "Isn't that against a man law to put fruit in your beer?"

Don't fruit your beer. Man Law? Man Law!

It wasn't an annoying response, but it was a funny one.

Friend wanted to try my chocolate stout. I advised that it was terrible. It did not turn out good whatsoever. He said he didn't care. Reluctantly, I popped a top and poured him one. He said." This tastes like a plant. " I laughed and told him to dump it. He then said" that was ****ty. Let's never do that one again. " see, he helped to brew the chocolate stout. This friend is very honest.

"Homebrew is like fart. Only the person who made it likes it."

I guess a lot of friends like my farts then too...

Billy-Klubb said:
think about how the pros must feel!:rockin:

If this means that if your farts don't stink then your beer doesn't stink than mine must be swill

Me: "Yeah this is my homebrew, Not bad right?"
Them: "Not bad for the bath tub. I bet you have to clean the tub REAL good before you brew in it right?"
Me: "Man I have a lot of work to do, lock the door on the way out."

Real story here as well. My buddy was over, wanted bud light. Why he thought I had bud light is still unbeknownst to me. However, I went in the garage and poured him my American Wheat (58.7% Wheat in the malt bill) with the American Hefe WL strain. After drinking it he says, "Now thats a beer, great every time. I HATE wheat beers but if you want I will try yours...."

Oooh man..I love that! hahahahehehoho...to the brewery! where life is beautiful all the time...& I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their tall green boots,& they're coming to take me away HAHAAAA!!!

Friend wanted to try my chocolate stout. I advised that it was terrible. It did not turn out good whatsoever. He said he didn't care. Reluctantly, I popped a top and poured him one. He said." This tastes like a plant. " I laughed and told him to dump it. He then said" that was ****ty. Let's never do that one again. " see, he helped to brew the chocolate stout. This friend is very honest.

Honest friends rock!

Of course. But as you can suspect, denial set in rather quickly. I guess some people really are conditioned to like nothing but crap. How marketing ruins the world.

To pull off that ruse you almost need someone impartial to withess the pour and delivery. It is amazing how people do not want to enjoy your beers.

Oooh man..I love that! hahahahehehoho...to the brewery! where life is beautiful all the time...& I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their tall green boots,& they're coming to take me away HAHAAAA!!!

Haven't heard that tune in a long time.

Latest posts

Back