Brewers Best fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbell21

Reaction score
Today marks day 4 of primary fermentation. I did not take an OG reading simply because I forgot. The airlock has slowed dramatically, typically 1 bubble per 30 seconds. The brewers best instructions say if you are racking to a secondary to do it BEFORE fermentation is complete. Would now be a good time to pop open the lid and get a SG reading? FG is suppose to be 1.010-1.014 for this brew. Should I be in that ballpark before racking? Or slightly higher? The instruction says a good rule of thumb is 5-7 days before racking...When do you guys think I should rack and when should I get my first gravity reading? Thanks

Also I used hop pellets so I did not use a muslin sack ,Therefore racking is something I am going to do!

Most of the experienced brewers here on HBT will recommend leaving it alone in the fermenter for 3 weeks so that the yeast can work on the off flavors.

As a noobie, I took my first three batches out of primary after 4 or 5 days, transferred to secondary for 1 week, then bottled.

For my next batch, I left alone in primary for two weeks and secondary for another week.

Tasting notes show me that the longer time in primary is ready to drink with alot less time in the bottles. Not a lot of data here, but am leaving subsequent batches alone in primary for 3 weeks.

A want a really clean beer so from what I understand racking is the best option. I don't want alot of sediment at the bottom of my bottles.

Is it okay to open the lid and take the gravity reading now? My beer will finish fermentation in the secondary. I know its not maybe essential to rack it but I want quality beer and I have a carboy, so why not rack it? Right? I've read alot about oxidation and sanitation so I know to be careful...just wanted to see if anyone else racks before fermentation is complete like the directions say? As I stayed I'm on day 4...any suggestions from brewers who do it like this?

You can certainly take a gravity reading at this point. If you used irish moss in the boil, it will clear up nicely. Or you can use gelatin fining after a couple weeks of secondary and it will be also very clear.

If you are going to rack to a secondary, do it now (one bubble every 30 seconds; would have been ok to rack at one bubble every 15 sec). Good time for it. Take a reading too just to see where it's at, since you have the primary opened.

I stopped doing secondary fermentations, I primary for 2-3 weeks only. Clear beer is cosmetic, and can be cleaned up with gelatin finings (add to primary / secondary) or you can also cold crash your fermentation bucket (put the thing in a fridge, or outside if you live in a cold climate for a couple days after fermentation is complete and right before you want to bottle / keg).

Okay I racked it into the secondary tonight and the SG reading was 1.007 projected FG is suppose to be 1.010-1.014 so I think I'll be okay if I leave it in the secondary for another 2 weeks, right?

Also the gravity reading is confusing to me. My hydrometer says it was 1.007 which is not even like 2% ABV, I never took the OG so is there any way I can tell what it's current ABV is? Appreciate the help guys.

Also I was curious if I should expect to see any more bubbling in the airlock...

Since you are at 1.007, you are probably done/no more noticeable fermentation. I don't know if you need to go another two weeks. Take a reading in 2 days. If it's still 1.007, you're done. Now, you don't want to keep opening up your fermenter, oxygen exposure at this point is bad. Keep that in mind.

Original Gravity - Final Gravity = ABV (with some more math in there, search the forums to give you that calculation).

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php

You can't go off of FG alone to calculate ABV. Since you don't know your OG, you'll never know exactly what your ABV is. What did the kit say that your OG is? You can use that this time, just to give you a good estimate. Next time, RECORD YOUR OG!

Is this foam and green particles normal?

image-321650830.jpg

image-2916657361.jpg

Back