Decanting less floculant strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larso

Reaction score
Hi, I've a starter on with white labs kolsch yeast. It's 1.2l for a 20L batch. I'd like to chill and decant but I intend pitching about 36hrs from now. With a low floc yeast like that is it a waste of time chilling to decant? Would it take at least a week in the fridge or else I'll be selecting only the highly flocculant yeasties and might get low attenuation or end up with a clear kolsch? I want to put on a hefe in the next few weeks so have the same question about the hefe yeast?

Thanks

L

If your talking about WLP 029 I think that strain is one of the best flocking yeasts there is. They don't describe it that way but as long as the beer has end fermented, anything I've brewed with that yeasts has been crystal clear.

It depends on your grains and mashing how much chill haze you may get. If you want a clear beer, make sure it's well fermented, cold crash it and hit it with Gelitan.

I would not waste time doing this on beers with strong yeast derived charicter however, like wit beers and the like. I think you'll loose too much of what those styles are all about.

Thanx Brewski, I chilled it for 24hrs and it dropped right out so I was able to decant fine. For some reason I thought it was hefe-like. Anyway, w.r.t. Hefe yeast how would you get around that? Is there any way to avoid pitching the whole starter and still get the best from the yeast? I intend doing a dunkel hefe fairly soon

Thanks

L

You might want to consider not using a starter for a hefe. Just my opinion, but I get less banana&clove when I pitch enough cells off a stirplate. I think this yeast gives more character with a little stress.
Ymmv.

bnmir said:
You might want to consider not using a starter for a hefe. Just my opinion, but I get less banana&clove when I pitch enough cells off a stirplate. I think this yeast gives more character with a little stress.
Ymmv.

I'll certainly read up a bit on that and consider it. I don't always do starters, my kolsch yeast was expire september2012 so I needed one

Thanks

L

Larso said:
Thanx Brewski, I chilled it for 24hrs and it dropped right out so I was able to decant fine. For some reason I thought it was hefe-like. Anyway, w.r.t. Hefe yeast how would you get around that? Is there any way to avoid pitching the whole starter and still get the best from the yeast? I intend doing a dunkel hefe fairly soon

Thanks

L

How do you get around what? With regards to finished beer clarity, the amount of yeast pitched has very little to do with it.

You want a clear wheat beer?

Edit: re read the OP. your looking to collect the yeast to re-pitch?

No Brewski, I'm wondering how to avoid pitching starter wort with a strain that doesn't floc well

I think unless you are using the yeast 4-5 generations out , the yeast that flocks will be good to go in your heffe. I would favor the lower end of OG in your starter wort if your short on time. Once it finishes out in the starter and you cold crash it you will be good to go. There will be some yeast itn the supernatant but there will be nothing wrong with what settles out. Cell count difference will likewise be neglageable.

I've used several strains of Hefe yeast and never had a problem with them crashing in 24 -36 hours in a starter. If you are a fan of the banana profile under pitching is preferred but it also has to do with the fermentation temp being on the higher side, personally I make starters and still get what I desire:)

Thanks guys. Duboman I'm not crazy about too much banana. I love weihenstephaner dunkel so I'm gettin my hands on some wyeast 3068 and going to brew up a dark one

Back