beginner beer brewer with some usual questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
Hi, i have been pretty active on the cider forums here for a while, but having just bottled brandon o's graff, i have decided to give beer brewing a shot.

what i liked about the graff is it has a resemblance to Pyramid Hefeweizen, which i really enjoy, but i have not yet come around to heavier beers like lager.

what would you suggest for a more introductory, lighter beer to introduce me into beer brewing. i dont have a ton of equipment specific to beer such as a wort cooler or keggles, but i do have a canning pot (i think its 3 gallon's or so) and several fermenters, but no equipment to chill them.

thanks for any input!

Check out extract kits at places like Northern Brewer or others and grab any kit that's a style you like. Extract is a great way to get started and doesn't require a lot of equipment. You can boil the wort on the stovetop with a big soup pot and you can chill with an ice bath - just put the kettle in the sink with a bag of ice. Cheers!

Check out extract kits at places like Northern Brewer or others and grab any kit that's a style you like. Extract is a great way to get started and doesn't require a lot of equipment. You can boil the wort on the stovetop with a big soup pot and you can chill with an ice bath - just put the kettle in the sink with a bag of ice. Cheers!

im more or less asking what types of beer i should pursue, i dont know many styles, just that of the darker beers i have had, i have not liked

im more or less asking what types of beer i should pursue, i dont know many styles, just that of the darker beers i have had, i have not liked

I don't know why you think lager is heavy beer. I love lager. Try more lagers. All kinds. And read a good book like "The Naked Pint" which opens eyes about beers you and I have been missing.

Well a hefe is a great starter beer. Pick up a kit and go for it! Don't follow the timeline suggested by the kit instructions, but rather use your hydrometer and do some research.

Hefe's are great because you can turn them around quickly.

hefeweizen is the simplest to make. all it takes is 6 lbs dry extract or 6.6 lbs liquid extract, an ounce of hallertauer hops, and a hefe yeast, like wb-06 dry yeast. with the equipment you already have, you should be almost ready to go

Find a liquor store/grocery store that lets you make your own mix-and-match six pack of different craft beers, get samples of lots of different styles, and experiment. Then brew your favorite. Cheers!

Most lagers are generally considered light and due to the fermenting procedure are not something a beginner should attempt.

If you do not like dark/heavy beers, look into cream or pale ales.

As already suggested try to find a liquor store that will sell mixed 6 packs. Find ones that you like then find kits or recipes that are similar.

Back