Keezer Air Circulation (solution)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
This has probably been done before but I couldn't find a thread so I feel like a genius (don't spoil it for me).

A few months ago I built a three keg keezer using a 5 cu' Holiday chest freezer (paid $150 at Lowes for this model).

It worked like a charm but, like all chest freezers, would benefit from better circulation of the cold air that settles to the bottom.

Bottom line: 80mm CPU fan attached to 6" PVC pipe draws air from the bottom and pushes it to the top. Bonus points for cool looking and helpful lighting!

Here's the fan I got from BestBuy ($15): Antec TriCool

You can find the PVC pipe at lowes for less than $10.

Attach the fan to the pipe using a few wood screws.

Cover gaps b/t fan and pipe with duct tape (that's what it's for!).

Drill large holes along the bottom for air in take.

Power by splicing old electronics power supply (~12v).

Here are some pics:

keezer interior.jpg

fan.jpg

fan assebly.jpg

air in.jpg

keezer.jpg

Nice build. I should mention, though, that you can get the same or a similar 80mm fan for much cheaper than Best Buy had that one. I'll just leave this Amazon link here for others use.

Thanks, I definitely realized I could get the fan for far less but I liked the idea of lighting up the interior. Others are encouraged to be more fiscally responsible (except for the part about sinking hundreds, thousands? in beer and beer making supplies).

Also, regarding the pics... the PVC pipe/fan contraption sits on the freezer floor and is about as tall as a keg. I removed it for the pictures...

Similar in concept I mounted a bilge fan in the lid and dropped a bilge duct/hose down. Your solution is quite inventive though and much cheaper I'm sure.

One thing though. If your kegs are tightly packed together getting them up off the bottom a little bit will help your cooling/circulation quite a bit too. I lifted mine up by cutting an old wire DVD rack up and creating an airspace under them. Mine are so tightly packed one can be icing up while the others are still cooling, specially when I drop in a new keg that needs to cool down.

Nice!

I have fans like yours ... four stacked one atop the other to create a wall of air that blows horizontally instead of vertically. The built in LCDs are great for adding light to an otherwise dark keezer interior.

Thread necro because I found this thread from a Google search, so I know other people are finding it too.

In the first post, the OP says he threw an 80mm fan on a 6" PVC pipe. Being odd like I am, I always draft my solutions before I buy parts. And there's no way that combination fits those sizes.

This is what an 80mm fan on a 6" PVC pipe would look like.

pKdV3ca.png

Clearly, that's not what we see in the first picture. So I drew up alternatives.

dNLnYmJ.png

The first row is 80mm fans, the second row is 92mm fans, and the third row is 120mm fans. The first column is 3" PVC, the second column is 4" PVC, and the third column is 5" PVC.

We can see that the 80mm fan is a good match for the 3" PVC pipe, the 92mm fan isn't a good match with any of the pipes, and the 120mm fan is a good match with the 4" PVC. Pretty sure we're looking at 80mm on 3" PVC above.

Note, this is using dimensions for Sch 40 pipe, by far the most common. Sch 80 pipe is much more expensive and harder to find in these sizes, so I didn't feel it was worth drawing those.

Back