Yeast Starter Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franknorrispr

Reaction score
Hi, I just made a yeast starter for a weizenbock that I was going to do today but it turns out that I won't be making that batch until tuesday.

Right now I have the starter on a stir plate.

How should I store the starter? Should I refrigerate it at ale fermenting temps? Or should I leave it outside at room temp?

Also, should I put an airlock in it or should I leave it with the sterilized aluminum foil on top?

thanks in advice

Just stick it in the fridge at regular refrigerator temp with the sanitized foil over the top. Take it out the morning of your brew day and either decant the spent wort and pitch it as-is, or decant the spent wort and toss a small fresh starter wort on it to get the beasties going before you pitch.

Nice, I was thinking about that! I'll just leave it in the regular temp fridge with the sanitized foil on top. In the brew day I'll wake up in the morning and will decant the starter, add new wort and let it do its thing while in the stir plate. I'll brew at the afternoon!

Back