Rubbermaid Mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad

Reaction score
I am just getting into all grain brewing. I see all of these posts on 10 gallon coolers but if I am only going to be doing 5 gallon batches cant I just use a 5 gallon cooler. And where is the best place to find ss hose clamps?

I am just getting into all grain brewing. I see all of these posts on 10 gallon coolers but if I am only going to be doing 5 gallon batches cant I just use a 5 gallon cooler. And where is the best place to find ss hose clamps?

I started using an old 5 gal cooler when I started all grain, but soon found that it was too small for many of the beers I like to brew. If you want to make brews with an OG above 1.065 without adding sugar or extract, get a larger cooler. I bought a 10 gal cooler, and now use the 5 gal for an HLT. I've been doing 10 gal batches recently, and now my 10 gal cooler is too small.\

Even the SS hose clamp will corrode after a while. I use plastic zip ties.

There a several threads on this. 5 gal will cover you for low to mid grav beers up to about 1.060 (or 12 lbs of grain @ 1.25 qts/lb.) I think you will eventually want a bigger one. That said, I have been mashing for the last year with a 5 gal cooler. Most of what I brew works fine and the limited head space is good for keeping temps. I'll add a 48 or 60 qt eventually for bigger beers.

Latest posts

Back