Using more extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizlyGarou

Reaction score
I made a batch of Pale Ale recently, and I'm trying to make it again. The problem is, the LHBS was out of the liquid extract, and I got the dried instead. I know to use different weights of them, but I have a question anyway.

The first batch I made of that used 5.5 lbs of LME, and I have 6 lbs of DME. If I use all 6 pounds instead of just 5, will I end up with a higher ABV or a sweeter beer, or both? I don't mind letting it sit a little longer to let the yeast ferment everything as I have several buckets and can still brew more beer while it sits, but I don't really like my beer to be sweet.

So, should I go for the 5 lbs (I don't have a scale, so I'd have to measure it out of the 3 pound bag then leave a third out of one bag...) or dump in all 6 and give it a few more days in primary? I'd really like to duplicate the previous batch, but don't mind experimenting a bit in the name of learning...

Thanks!

What's the recipe? Changing exact amounts of extract won't matter, but a higher gravity wort can change several things from the hops utilization to the FG, depending on what else you have in the recipe. Generally, for 5.5 pounds LME, you'd use 4.5 pounds DME. If you use more, that would probably give you a better beer (because 5.5 pounds LME in a 5 gallon batch isn't much in the way of malt at all) but it really depends on what you're making.

I'd just use it all or keep a cup back to use for priming maybe. It will increase the ABV a bit and probably have a touch more malt flavor but I wouldn't hesitate to just use it all. I doubt that it would be sweeter since most of the sugars in extracts are consumed by the yeast, so I wouldn't worry about that.

it's 5.5 lbs of light LME
1.1 lbs wheat LME
8 oz 10l crystal
8 oz 20 l crystal
an ounce of magnum for 60
an ounce of amarillo for 10
another ounce amarillo after racking to secondary

I got the wheat LME, but had to sub the light DME for the light LME.

The recipe I have says 5 pounds light DME and 1 pound wheat DME.

Ok, I ran that through Beersmith. The original recipe as an OG of 1.048, with IBUs of 35.5, right in the style guidelines for a pale ale. This is assuming the "usual" brewing of a partial boil, and no late extract additions. ABV (if the FG is around 1.012) is 4.7%

Using the dry extracts instead (1 pound of wheat DME, and 5 pounds of DME) makes the OG 1.053 and IBUs of 31.7. The ABV (assuming a FG of 1.012) is 5.3% ABV. This should also give you a slightly maltier beer.

So, in this case, it really doesn't matter for the small differences. You will have a slight reduction in bitterness, but it should be barely noticeable.

Those gravitys are within 3 points of my first batch.

I was thinking of holding back a bit of the magnums and adding them in later with the other boiling hops to cut back on the bitterness a bit anyway, so this should work out perfectly!

Back