Philosophy Question - Freedom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markm2151

Reaction score
Yesterday in my legal philsopy class, the question arised as to where do people think their freedom comes from. This is not a political question, nor is this suppossed to be a debate. I'm honestly curious, the vast majority of us being Americans, why do you think you have freedom? Can you point to something that provides you with this freedom? Go.

Freedom in what sense?

My generic answer is that my freedom lies in the free will I am able to exert which was given to me by my creator(either in a religious sense, or biological..take your pick)

Now what guarantees freedom, that's something all together different. Guarantee is a very absolute word and I would argue that their is no guarantee of freedom. There are thankfully institutions(governmental, social, other) that uphold a certain level of freedom and unfortunately there are counterparts of the same types of institutions that erode it and IMO government is at the top of both of those lists. When it really comes down to freedom on a microcosmic level the only thing that protects freedom is force, and your ability to have greater force than those wanting to restrict your freedom.

I'm honestly curious, the vast majority of us being Americans, why do you think you have freedom?

Curious question being that the US is one of the least free among the industrialized nations... and becoming less free every day....

That's easy the Women and Men who serve this country in our armed forces and those who have served and the many who made the ultimate sacrifice. They Sacrifice, they Protect and Defend us and our freedom!

THANK YOU!!! to every single one of them!

BrewerinBR said:
That's easy the Women and Men who serve this country in our armed forces and those who have served and the many who made the ultimate sacrifice. They Sacrifice, they Protect and Defend us and our freedom!

THANK YOU!!! to every single one of them!

The US Military has done nothing since the Civil War even remotely related to protecting our freedom. Not one country or group of people besides our government (who employs the military) has tried to take away our freedom. I am a huge supporter of our servicemen and women and the sacrifices they make but they have done nothing for freedom. Freedom of other countries however, that is debatable. Ours is not.

I think that Freedom is the ability to make a choice and deal with the rewards and consequences. Every human has a certain amount of freedom. Even the most oppressed. Total freedom is impossible because it's impossible to do what you want without infringing on the freedom of someone else.

As far as why do I think I have freedom, I think I have it because it's our primal desire to be free. Humans were nomadic people for nearly all of their existence, I don't think it's natural to not want to be free and to explore, and so on. As far as what provides us with freedom, I think rebellion is the best source. Whether in small amounts or large amounts. Every Empire that's ever existed has fallen, and it always will because of our desire to be free.

I think I have freedom because 237 years ago people like me made themselves free. They fought and died for it and obtained what they wanted.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark

I believe I am free because people like me would rather die trying to be free than not be free.

'Merica

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Our forefathers had the same question and wrote this in their declaration to England. So, while freedom is protected through law and military, it is a birthright, unalienable and unassailable, in this country.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."
- Declaration of Independence, 4 July 1776
^ This is probably the most eloquent way to put it...

Simply put - I believe our freedom is a gift from our Creator.

...and passedpawn beat me to it...

Freedom. Perhaps one of the most commonly misunderstood words.

Most think that freedom comes from the brave men and women who served in the armed forces, police etc. While I respect these folks for what they have done and am proud of the sacrifices that they have made for me, I seem to think of freedom a little different.

True freedom comes from within. It is how you currently perceive your ability to do what you desire without being restricted by any outside force.

The US Military has done nothing since the Civil War even remotely related to protecting our freedom. Not one country or group of people besides our government (who employs the military) has tried to take away our freedom. I am a huge supporter of our servicemen and women and the sacrifices they make but they have done nothing for freedom. Freedom of other countries however, that is debatable. Ours is not.

I wholeheartedly disagree. If you want peace, prepare for war. Our freedom as a nation is preserved in the defense of the nation, not the offense. The fact that we have a military that is always prepared for war is a deterrent to those who would walk in and take over.

As for the freedom of others, yes, that is debatable.

Hopefully this will stem the debate even further. Do we truly have the freedom to be free or are we just a part of the cosmic clock?

Last edited by a moderator:

WWII

There's almost little doubt that the Germans would have taken over the world without US intervention.. Japan would dominate the Asian Theater.

Curious question being that the US is one of the least free among the industrialized nations... and becoming less free every day....

I don't dispute that we're becoming less free every day, but in what industrialized nations are you more free than in the USA?

To me, freedom is being able to do what I enjoy doing. No one says "you can't do that" or "you must do this instead". As long as I am kind to my fellows, and do no harm to others, I can do what I want, that's freedom to me. If I am not hurting anyone, and maybe even it's helping, I should be able to do it.

The way I see things, freedom is a construct and every individual has their own definition of freedom. It's subjective and cannot be based on empirical evidence.

As for me, as long as I can think on my own, I am free. I may be physically restrained from acting, but until I am also restrained from thinking, I will continue to have freedom.

However, around here it's the moderators that control our freedom.

In this context freedoms are specific rights granted by government, inalienable rights included (if they were truly inalienable they couldn't be taken away). So they are defined and provided to you by the governing body that presides over you.

Doesn't sound very free does it?

However, around here it's the moderators that control our freedom.

Haha, well the mods are a little like the police I guess.

If you want society, you have to place some restrictions to avoid anarchy. Maybe that feels like an encroachment on freedom.

It would be nice if we could all live in harmony, with mutual appreciation for each others freedom and comfort, but that would be a different world and a different creature you'd be talking about. That's fantasy.

On this planet, and given the nature of man, you need laws, police, and mods.

passedpawn said:
Haha, well the mods are a little like the police I guess.

If you want society, you have to place some restrictions to avoid anarchy. Maybe that feels like an encroachment on freedom.

It would be nice if we could all live in harmony, with mutual appreciation for each others freedom and comfort, but that would be a different world and a different creature you'd be talking about. That's fantasy.

On this planet, and given the nature of man, you need laws, police, and mods.

I completely agree with you, I was just joking about the mods.

Going back to the question of freedom though, we choose the societal norms, laws, and rules to live by. It's that free will that defines freedom for me.

I would say freedom of thought is where I think freedom comes from.
We're essentially controlled by the government and business in an industrial or post-industrial society. The 'murican dream; consumerism; health insurance; stagflation; Calvinism and trickle down economics are essential to keeping people in line. So at work you can sound off "THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!?!?!?!!!!!"

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
WWII

There's almost little doubt that the Germans would have taken over the world without US intervention.. Japan would dominate the Asian Theater.

You could argue that Europe and Asia may have lost their individual freedom by nation. If we were the saviors of the allied powers than it can be said that we would have been able to defend ourselves. The only reason we even entered WW2 is because the Japanese overstepped their boundaries at Pearl Harbor. Germany single handedly defeated itself, just like the Roman Empire.

rs4life said:
You could argue that Europe and Asia may have lost their individual freedom by nation. If we were the saviors of the allied powers than it can be said that we would have been able to defend ourselves. The only reason we even entered WW2 is because the Japanese overstepped their boundaries at Pearl Harbor. Germany single handedly defeated itself, just like the Roman Empire.

*then it could be said

Interesting conversation, things seem to be breaking down into three groups of origin:

1) Declaration of Independance/Bill of Rights/Constitution
2) Inalienable rights stemming from within/god/higher power (I use the word god ambiguously, insert whatever diety you follow)
3) Government
a) Military of behalf of the government
b) While some of you point to the government, you seem to do so through acquiensence; you accept the freedoms provided by the government but don't seem to be happy with their ability to regulate them...?

Personally, I feel 'freedom' is a subset of 'free will'...the better question is- what is Free Will, once you consider social conditioning?

550440_406453926104102_453406912_n.jpg

Thanks, man. I get soooo tired of hearing that. It's an argument that makes no sense. America is crazy in that regard.

Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains, is my answer.

IMHO
Free will was given to us by God. Every person is born with it and can exercise it as they choose.
However I do think most people are slightly confused as to its meaning.

Freedom is the ability to do what is right. If you choose to sin you will be enslaved to it.
So the only "free" choice is to do good.

Organized Violence. The ability to not be oppressed through collective action. Freedom is tricky in that regard.

Personally, I feel 'freedom' is a subset of 'free will'...the better question is- what is Free Will, once you consider social conditioning?

550440_406453926104102_453406912_n.jpg

...and then the cow turned and walked away. That is free will.

The men with bolt guns (just outside the picture) kindly redirect Mr. Cow back to his two choices and remind him they won't be so kind next time... That is "Freedom."

Interesting that much of the discussion here centers around what other things in our lives are connected to freedom (references to the Armed Forces, God, what we are compelled to do “in its affect” etc) ... rather than the nature of the word itself.
I think the philosophical implication of the word is that Freedom separates you from something. From tyranny, from pain, and so forth.
Freedom only exists due to its counterpoint.
Even in ideas like “Freedom of Speech”, freedom is separating you from something that, though maybe not stated is “understood” , that being the possibility of being oppressed or prevented from speaking your mind.
Look at it this way ... if you lived alone on a desert island, would the concept or value of Free Speech apply? I don’t think so, it would be nonsensical ... it would be moot. You would not have the reference or thing that freedom is separating you from.

It’s a bit of the “if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around to hear it, does it make any sound?” question. That is; How can you know something without “it”? ... “it” being the counterpoint.
The counterpoint to “no one around to hear it” is being there. That is how you know.
The counterpoint to Freedom is not having it ... that is how you know what freedom is.

The OP asked
... why do you think you have freedom? Can you point to something that provides you with this freedom? ...

If I have Freedom it is because of the possibility of not having it. And while that sounds self-referential, kind of a Strange Loop, it is not a definition that markm2151's question asks for, but how it comes to me ... and it comes to me by way of separating me from the alternative.

Can I point to something that provides me with it? ... to understand the possibility of the counterpoint to something, I must have human intellect. And so, Freedom is provided by the mind.

That is interesting, the part about freedom being nothing without the threat if someone rKing it from you. The revolutionaries certainly werent free to govern themselves, so they could and did fight for freedom, not from governing or rules, they did not fight fit freedom for everyone to do whatever they wAnt. They fought for the freedom to govern themselves. To establish their own rules an regulations. To determine what restrictions and liberties an individual may have. 200 and some odd years later people talk a lot about freedom but it doesnf mean anything unless you are talking about something ghat someone, specifically government requires or forbids you to do.
I am rambling a bit because I haven't gathered my thoughts about this. But the example of thd emancipation keeps coming mind. Thd slaves were freed but definitely not free to do as they want or even to do within the rules for white people. We are free as a people buy existing in society will always put some restrictions on our freedoms as individuals.

From The Social Contract by Robert Ardrey:

"The just society, as I see it, is one in which sufficient order protects members, whatever their diverse endowments, and sufficient disorder provides every individual with full opportunity to develop his genetic endowment, whatever that may be. It is this balance of order and disorder, varying in rigor according to environmental hazard, that I think of as the social contract. And that it is a biological command will become evident, I believe, as we inquire among the species."

We want some control, as in we don't want people to have the "freedom" to harm us, but I think most of us think of it as a path to something better. We don't always use it if it's there, but take it away and we realize it quickly.

Back