Oh crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceroadbrew

Reaction score
So I have a 2 stage ranco controller and a mini freezer. I made sure the settings were correct the first time I used it and had 2 successful brews. So this time I noticed the temp on the controller was where it was supposed to be but the ambient temp in the freezer was like 40f! Also the freezer is practically new but you could feel on the side of it was very hot.

So there are 2 female plugs, one that the freezer goes into and one that the fermwrap does. I reversed the plugs in the evening and came to look in the morning and both the ambient and fermenter temp was 100f!! this yeast is wyeast 2112 so I'm thinking I'm pretty much screwed?

RDWHAHB. Yeast have been around for millions of years. They will survive. They will make beer.

It just may not taste very good.

Yeast start to be debilitated starting at around 120F and start to die at around 140F.

They will be fine at 100F. They were probably pretty close to that temp in the back of the FedEx truck they were shipped in.

You will, however, be dealing with some off-flavors in the brew due to the higher temp. Good news is that these types of off flavors from strained yeast can be conditioned out, given enough time. You may want to allow an extra 4-6 weeks of conditioning time if you have some funky aftertastes in this batch.

Good luck!

Back