Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A snowstorm knocked down some limbs in the yard, and a buddy donated an old fridge.... So I built this custom Kegerator. Holds 4-5 cornies easily. The handles were striped of bark and polished with Poly. The rest just came from stuff laying around the garage. BTW, the wolf hat on swmbo was a gift from Ted Nugent.

A snowstorm knocked down some limbs in the yard, and a buddy donated an old fridge.... So I built this custom Kegerator. Holds 4-5 cornies easily. The handles were striped of bark and polished with Poly. The rest just came from stuff laying around the garage. BTW, the wolf hat on swmbo was a gift from Ted Nugent.
Is it just me or the pic did not show

Here she is. Just finished her tonight but my wrench wasn't big enough to tighten my fittings and I was losing C02. Will have to wait til tomorrow to get one. Go figure. First real attempt at anything even remotely like this in terms of woodwork/diy. I think I did well. It seals up enough and holds the temp much better than I expected. The pics are from my phone and lighting sucks hence the low quality.

keezer.jpg

inside.jpg

drathbone said:
Here she is. Just finished her tonight but my wrench wasn't big enough to tighten my fittinvs...

When I built mine, I was renting the across the street from my mom. I grew up in that house and knew she had only a few random tools. My wrenches only went to 1" and my largest crescent wasn't big enough. I treated through her garage and out of the three wrenches I found, one was the correct size. I promptly thanked her and informed her I was keeping the wrench. I've never had that happen. Typically, when the tool choice is limited, you are not lucky enough to find the right tool.

Just (mostly) finished my Kegerator. It was free from my parents (their garage fridge for many years). It started out that 80's cream color. I stripped it down, primed it, painted it black. I took out all the ice maker/dispenser junk & covered the hole with a cutting board that happened to be the right size. I then foam insulated everything I could & installed an Auberin PID as a temp controller. I think I can fit 5 or 6 corny kegs in the right side and a few in the left if needed.

Also, thanks for all the inspiration on this thread. I bet I looked through 100+ of these pages looking at everyone's builds before deciding what to do.

photo.jpg

100_0168.jpg

theschick - I love the way yours turned out!

What kind of trim did you use around the color? And was the fridge black or did you paint it?

What kind of trim did you use around the color? And was the fridge black or did you paint it?

Thanks! It was pine trim that I found at Lowes, the collar is red oak. It took me a few tries to get them to stain somewhat similarly. I am quite happy how it turned out. Oh, and it was a white freezer, I painted it black.

I guess i can go ahead and post my starting point

6434-used-kegerator-2-tap-tower-room-two-5-7-gallon-sankey-kegs.jpg

I found this on Craig's list. Initially used it with two 5-Gal torpedo kegs.

6438-img-20111210-164959.jpg

However....there is room inside for two 3-gal and 2 5-gal Corny kegs and maybe the C02 tank. I've replaced all of the hoses and am redoing the top. The big surprise is a custom made 5-tap tower that's currently in the works.

I finally finished mine. You will notice it was inspired by several posts within this thread, yet still unique:
IMG_20120131_195852.jpg

IMG_20120131_195811.jpg

IMG_20120131_195828.jpg

IMG_20120131_195941.jpg

And a few in its final home:
IMG_20120131_222715.jpg

Just built this last week...bought a 7.2 cu ft freezer from Lowes and converted it. :ban: Had to reinforce the lid with a block of wood (1" X 12" X 12"). Managed to slide it in between the insulation and sheet metal.

Keezer lid reinforcement.jpg

Keezer.jpg

I got this guy up and going just in time for this Sunday. Still need to mount the distribution block. I can fit 1 1/2 keg and 2 1/6 kegs.

The tap handle was an awesome Christmas present from a friend.

5KhS1.jpg

PDfpx.jpg

Finally can post my new keezer. Its 99% done. Its one of the GE 7 freezers from black friday sale. Fits 4 kegs with two of the taps interchangeable between homebrew and commercial.

ForumRunner_20120202_175653.jpg

ForumRunner_20120202_175732.jpg

basementbrewbrad said:
Here is an update to mine. Now Covered in bed liner

Is that a chest freezer turned sideways? Does it work that way? Doesn't the compressor (as well as the oil and other parts) rely on gravity?

EDIT: Nevermind, I can see the handle now and that its a dorm type fridge. The bed liner makes it hard to tell exactly what it "used" to be.

Is that a chest freezer turned sideways? Does it work that way? Doesn't the compressor (as well as the oil and other parts) rely on gravity?

EDIT: Nevermind, I can see the handle now and that its a dorm type fridge. The bed liner makes it hard to tell exactly what it "used" to be.

I get that a lot. People seem to be confused by the collar on a mini fridge. It works well for me and will hold 2 5 gallon corny kegs with room to spare for bottles.

Started brewing 9-11-11...built this b/c I'd never need over 2 Kegs!!!! I love it and the fact it holds lots of hops in the freezer(over 20#'s after I got rid of those mugs)..... Its for sale in the Classifieds on here now b/c I need 6 kegs :D Will post pics of my keezer soon....may just put this guy on my deck or in the garage, who knows?

fridge.jpg

fridge 2.jpg

fridge 3.jpg

fridge 4.jpg

fridge 5.jpg

Alright, I finally got the molding on and stained my keezer, just needs some drip trays. Been functional for some time. It can fit 6 cornies or 1 half barrel and three cornies and room for lagering on the hump. Kind of wish I had put all the taps on one side but oh well.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Mcsuck said:
Alright, I finally got the molding on and stained my keezer, just needs some drip trays. Been functional for some time. It can fit 6 cornies or 1 half barrel and three cornies and room for lagering on the hump. Kind of wish I had put all the taps on one side but oh well.

Awesome! :mug:

Quite nice. you're right about the taps but still works fine. what size/brand freezer was that. :mug:

do you use the same gas line sizes for cornies and commercial? My LHBS had me convinced that they're different. Can't imagine why it would make a difference, but that's what they said.

It's a frigidaire I picked up from Craig's List a while back so I'm not sure the model, but based on the outside dimensions I would say its about 12 cu ft. But ya, placement of my 4 taps is prolly the knly thing i would change, would make it easier for expasion too, but whats done is done. And no, it's the same size gas line for commercial and corny. I've gotten a few commercial kegs and used the same hose and it's been fine.

Back