Considering Kegging...what is involved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
Looking to keg in the near future. What am I getting myself into? Is there a good "how to" so I don't have to paint the forum with messages?

I decided my next video is going to be "anatomy of a homebrew kegging system". Of course, you're probably too anxious to wait. Start by looking at the kegging systems on the homebrew store websites like morebeer.com and others.

So far from looking, about $250 seems to be the cheapest way to get started. I need the lines, CO2 Canister, ball hook-ups, and the kegs themselves right? It seems that I could spend more if I wanted to chill the kegs in a converted fridge with a spigot. Could I store the filled kegs and only cool them before I plan on drinking/tapping them?

sure! or you can build a jockey box for little ca$h and only cool what you pour. I'm deffinately not a fan of letting your keg get warm and cool over and over.

You're entering at a bad time. You'll definitely need a fridge to keep your kegs cold, so factor in another hundo.

Check CraigsList for parts. If you don't see what you need, put up a "Want to Buy" ad asking for the parts you're looking for.

jmjbj_h said:
So far from looking, about $250 seems to be the cheapest way to get started. I need the lines, CO2 Canister, ball hook-ups, and the kegs themselves right? It seems that I could spend more if I wanted to chill the kegs in a converted fridge with a spigot. Could I store the filled kegs and only cool them before I plan on drinking/tapping them?

My guesstimate on my stuff is a little more than your $250 mark...not including the Sanyo fridge for $149 at Best Buy.

That included:

3 cornies (Adventures in Brewing, $18 apiece plus shipping, $68 total)
4-way manifold (Midwest, $45)
Single Body Dual Guage Premium Regulator $50 (The Beverage Factory.com)
Air and Liquid hose for three cornies ($30) (The Beverage Factory.com)
Ball Locks for four cornies ($45) (Midwest)
2 Picnic Taps ($8)
1 30Lb CO2 tank (1/2 filled) picked up from guy getting out of the hobby ($50)

If you're going to keg, I definitely recommend you invest in something to keep the beer cold. No sense in running all the way down to the 2 yard line and then deciding to kick a field goal.

Trust me, you'll love kegging. Read, learn and shop. You'll notice I spread my order around to three different places cuz their pricing varied enough and I saved prolly $80 in total.

My advice, get your kegs first. If nothing else you can get familiar with the equipment and they make great secondaries if you go no further.

This is what it's all about baby....:ban:
Belgian_Wit_1.JPG

Belgian_Wit_2.JPG

I just got four kegs in the mail today. Ill probably take em apart and look at em later. i think i got a good deal on ebay i got 4 kegs all for $100 shipping included. i think i paid about 12 dollars apiece for them.

bigjon88 said:
I just got four kegs in the mail today. Ill probably take em apart and look at em later. i think i got a good deal on ebay i got 4 kegs all for $100 shipping included. i think i paid about 12 dollars apiece for them.
Best $100 you'll ever spend.

I don't want to seem dense, but can you rack to a corny keg from your clarifying tank, seal the beer up, not carbonating it, and let it sit for awhile until you are ready to carbonate them. Will this affect the beer? What is a suggested temp?

What I would like to do is buy a Sanyo, it looks like from reading only 2 kegs will fit right? Why do I need a set up for 4 kegs? (i.e. 4 way manifold, 4 corny kegs, and 4 hook ups?)

I would love a link to a definative items needed list or even better, a sticky in this forum that newbies could go to so that they could shop around. It seems like the "All-In-One" deals are expensive, like the kits offered on the net. Most of us homebrewers are cheap!

Back