How To Set A Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albannach

Reaction score
I feel stupid asking this but here goes. How do you properly set a CO2 regulator?

I have a shutoff valve between the regulator and the keg.
The CO2 tank is at room temperature.

When I
  1. Close shutoff valve
  2. Set psi with screw
  3. And then open the shutoff valve
CO2 enters the keg but the final pressure is much lower than what I had originally set on the regulator.

The only way I can get the right psi setting is if I do the following:
  1. Open shutoff valve
  2. Slowly creep the psi up to 2-3 psi within the desired pressure
  3. Wait 15 min
  4. Increase psi a bit more, etc. to inch up to my desired psi without overshooting
Is there an easier way to do this? If this is 'just how it is', I can't wait for Ronco to invent a 'set it and forget it' CO2 regulator. Better yet, a digital CO2 regulator.

I do the...
Close shutoff valve
Set psi with screw
And then open the shutoff valve

thing, but my shut off valve is the ball lock QD. This works fine for me.....

I usually just turn the dang screw with all valves open, have not had a problem. We currently have 15 jocky boxes/regulators in the rotation for weddings/corporate events we cater beverages for, etc. You are not adjusting a fine Swiss watch, it is just a regulator.

i find that tapping the regulator gauge helps it to show the "true" reading... always seems to stick a few psi lower than after I tap it.

-Steve

i think so long as tank valve is open all you have to do is turn the dial to adjust the diaphragm on the regular to the desired pressure you want and it will eventually equalize to your set pressure.

i think so long as tank valve is open all you have to do is turn the dial to adjust the diaphragm on the regular to the desired pressure you want and it will eventually equalize to your set pressure.

and how do you know the pressure that you dialed in, before it equilizes, and is shown on the guage?

and how do you know the pressure that you dialed in, before it equilizes, and is shown on the guage?

I'll periodically check to make sure the pressure is where it needs to be. But lots of things can affect the pressure so I don't really spend too much time worrying about it. If it's off by a few psi here or there...that can always be adjusted if you like.

edit: i guess i'll add that I just take a laid back approach so it's quite possible these regulators - even when equalized - aren't delivering the pressure that is noted on the dial.

I'll periodically check to make sure the pressure is where it needs to be. But lots of things can affect the pressure so I don't really spend too much time worrying about it. If it's off by a few psi here or there...that can always be adjusted if you like.

edit: i guess i'll add that I just take a laid back approach so it's quite possible these regulators - even when equalized - aren't delivering the pressure that is noted on the dial.

This is my approach as well. I'm wrote my last Science Fair report in 7th Grade. Now the beer comes out with a good pour and good carbonation, Pressure is ok with me! :mug: But I'm pretty sure it's what it says.

i have one of those new taprite regulators from kegconnection.com and it has a simple dial. just dial it to the pressure needed no screws or anything like that... it's real easy to adjust.

Back