Racking into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatWell

Reaction score
When I am transferring into the second container do I want to avoid getting any of the yeast cake? Or do I want some of the yeast/hops for secondary fermentation? Any thouts would be helpful. I am working on an Arrogant bastard clone.

I asked this same question a week ago.

I was worried that I wouldn't transfer enough yeast. I left the whole yeast cake in the primary and dry-hopped into secondary.

Two days later I had another yeast cake already in my secondary.

You will be fine, just leave the initial cake.:mug:

"Secondary fermenter" is a misnomer in beer brewing. You should wait until primary fermentation has finished. In other words wait until you have stable gravity readings over three days, then transfer. Added: Do not transfer the yeast cake, but do not worry if you get a little in the secondary.

A more accurate description would be Bright Tank or Clearing Tank. This is just a step to let the sediment in the beer to settle out.

You can also skip this step entirely. Just leave the beer in primary until you reach your final gravity then leave it alone for another week or two then bottle.

You can transfer, cold crash, anything to help stuff fall out of suspension. Regardless, there should still be enough yeast in suspension to carb up naturally if you so choose. No worries.

"Secondary fermenter" is a misnomer in beer brewing. You should wait until primary fermentation has finished. In other words wait until you have stable gravity readings over three days, then transfer. Added: Do not transfer the yeast cake, but do not worry if you get a little in the secondary.

A more accurate description would be Bright Tank or Clearing Tank. This is just a step to let the sediment in the beer to settle out.

You can also skip this step entirely. Just leave the beer in primary until you reach your final gravity then leave it alone for another week or two then bottle.

+1 to this. Do not transfer to the secondary until you have had a stable gravity reading for at least three days. Honestly, you will probably end up with better beer if you leave it longer - the yeast will clean up some of the potential off flavors in your beer, and the yeast cake seems to be particularly good at this.

But yes, you will have another (albeit smaller) yeast cake in the bottom of your secondary as more yeast fall out of suspension.

Got it. I like the idea of putting it in a 'clearing tank'. But my question is if I should filter out the hops I forgot to strain when racking, and if so...how? Thanks again.

My main concern is getting as much of the beer from the primary to the secondary, while I avoid the cake I don't mind if I get some.

As the other poster said, it will all settle out again, especially with a cold crash

Back