Nut additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
For a 6-gallon batch I'm considering, what do you guys think about mashing a third pound each of roughly chopped pecans, hazelnuts, and macadamias? The grain bill is rather biscuity, but otherwise unremarkable. Obviously, my goal is to get a substantial nut flavor, but not overdo it. Any experiences along these lines?

Thanks!

I've listened to some podcasts where professionals address that problem by roasting the nuts. (Draws the oils to the surface during the roasting process.)

Agreed that this might kill all head retention, though.

Professionals have a lot of experience with nuts though. I don't know...it might work. Go for it and report back. I'd add some extra carapils or something to keep the head up though.

I'm no expert on brewing with nuts, but I believe that they contain a substantial amount of lipids, which will kill your head formation/retention and leave an oily slick on the surface of your beer.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the solution to that problem is, besides just using nut flavorings. Maybe you can find some info with the search function.

Extracts would probably be the best route to take....if you can find all the flavors. They have to be out there.

For a point of reference, the recent Can You Brew It recipe for Holgate Nut Brown uses 80g of coarsely ground, roasted macadamia nuts on top of the mash, per 6 gallon batch.

For a point of reference, the recent Can You Brew It recipe for Holgate Nut Brown uses 80g of coarsely ground, roasted macadamia nuts on top of the mash, per 6 gallon batch.

If adding them to the mash...I'm thinking that any (or most) of the oils would get trapped in the dead space. If any should make it to post boil you can siphon from under the oil "slick." The same could be said about making it into the fermenter.

I'm just thinking or typing out loud since I haven't done anything with nuts before (besides scratching my own). Anyone out there have any experience with nuts.

Back