I think this bottling wand is broken..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
The valve appears to be broken. Instead of going up and down on a spring, the valve is "wiggly". Any fix for this?

I use only the unsprung ones,as the springs do tend to rust. & the gunk in the beer flows through & builds up on the spring & valve. Even more reason to soak the parts in PBW that's a solution of 1.5oz PBW per gallon of water.
I've found that's minimum strength to soak things clean in a couple hours minimum.

Poor Creamy... broke his 'wand'. Sorry couldn't help myself.

I am a fan of the spring free pressure from the beer ones myself. Is your bottling wand disassemble-able?Maybe you have some schmutz or something in there. Maybe the spring is all gross.

gravity-fed ones always stick open for me and I lose 1 or 2 beers in the process of bottling a 5-gallon batch. oh, the horror!

spring tip bottling wands are <$3, so the fix is get a new one

Mine is currently of the gravity fed variety and 30+ batches in and no issues at all. Keep in mind that when there is no liquid in the wand the valve tip is "wobbly". Once liquid is in it under pressure of the contents of the bottling bucket, it will stiffen up. Have you tried it, maybe with water?

If it doesn't come apart,then put it in a tall glass or other where you can push the pin valve open with PBW in the glass. Then use a small tipped funnel inserted in the opposite end of the attached tubing to fill it with PBW as well.
Prop it up & let it sit-n-soak for awhile. That usually soaks gunk off the valve inside. Then rinse with warm water & use the funnel again to run some Starsan through it.

I use a spring loaded wand. The entire tip will pull off the tube with a gentle twist. If it has never been taken apart for cleaning some hot water may be necessary. Don't let the spring, needle valve, o-ring go down the drain.

Back