Maybe stupid question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I'm looking into going electric, the only reason being ability to brew (biab) indoors. I'm not sure yet what PID and SSR means, but say I'm going 240v, can I simply have a control box with master on/off, element on/off, and a variable output for the element? This means no setting mash temps or timers etc. Element is simply "replacing" propane as my heat source, and I'll be using the analog brewmometer on my pot to monitor temps, adjusting the element accordingly. Has this been done, anyone use it and are happy with it?

Yes.

Regardless of how you decide to control your element, you will need a device to separate the control current from the actual heating current, and that is done with an SSR (solid state relay). If you want anything other than on/off you will need something like a control panel with a PID (proportional–integral–derivative) controller or a PWM (Pulse With Modulation) circuit.

That should get you started...

Oh thanks, so basically much the same as an automated setup, but the temp is not recorded electronically, and the element power is controlled manually. Thanks for that! Obviously I've a whole lot of reading ahead of me, lol happy brewing!

Yeah, if you want to control power manually with no electronic readout, just use an SSR, (to switch the element on and off), and a PWM, (which tells the SSR "how much power" to give the element).

PWM really modifies the duty cycle of the element. So, if you want a 5500 watt element to run at 2250 watts, what it does is turn the element on for 1 second (for example), then off for 1 second. The element runs at an "average" of 2250 watts. It's pretty tough to actually only supply 2250 watts to the element, (you have to "burn off" the other 2250 watts, which is a lot of power!), but the PWM comes close to the same result.

Sounds like PWM is what you are looking for. Do a search for "PWM show us how" and the first couple pages have everything you will need.

Thanks guys! That controller seems to be what I'm looking for, but I have no desire for a pump. Apparently I have lots of research to do before jumping into this!
Does anyone using a simple controlled single vessel like I'm planning have any pics they can share?

I know there's tons of ebiab rigs around here, but I haven't heard of one that uses only manually controlled heat. All the setups I've seen have programmed mash temps, timed temps, pumps, etc. I just wondering how many people use electric the way I plan to, and if I could see pics of those setups.

Just my 2 cents, but a PID can handle all of your needs. You're talking $42 or so for a PID. Then about $25 for a liquid tight RTD probe. You can program the PID to maintain a temp - perfect for mash - and even use it in manual mode to dial down the power during a boil.

So essentially, the PID can do what the PWM does, but also can maintain temps for a mash.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

A good PID will handle the manual boil and temperature control functions, but I learned tonight that maintaining mash temperature in a single vessel eBIAB setup is tricky using the PID. Since my bag sits directly on the element, the grain bed in the area got quite warm (165+ degrees). I'm going to insulate my keggle so I don't have to use any heat during the mash and use the PID to heat strike water so I don't have to baby sit it. I then use my PWM (my el-cheapo PID does not have manual control) to control the boil.

SHULTZ:
Very nice setup and is very simple the way I like! I'm going to use a cake rack or something to keep my bag away from the element, but since I will be manually controlling the element and stirring often (rather than a "set it and forget it" thing most people use with electric) I don't think I'll have to worry much about different temps throughout my wort.

DGONZA:
I know a PID can control my temps for mashing but that's not what I'm looking for. I just want an element to replace my propane as a heat source, and manually control the element throughout the whole brewing process same as one would on a propane burner. So I don't think a PID is for my, and a PWM is my better solution.

With all that said I guess a PWM is what I'm needing to control my element. Lots of feedback in this thread and good or bad it's appreciated, thanks everyone!

You can make my PID from Radio Shack parts for about $12 and a couple hours time, or you can buy an assembled one from Bakatronics and swamp out one capacitor, or you can buy the parts from them and DIY. There's also a few on ebay that will need the same capacitor replacement to reduce the frequency to ~1 Hz.

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383

That's a PWM, not PID, but otherwise I agree :mug:.

I'm looking into going electric, the only reason being ability to brew (biab) indoors. I'm not sure yet what PID and SSR means, but say I'm going 240v, can I simply have a control box with master on/off, element on/off, and a variable output for the element? This means no setting mash temps or timers etc. Element is simply "replacing" propane as my heat source, and I'll be using the analog brewmometer on my pot to monitor temps, adjusting the element accordingly. Has this been done, anyone use it and are happy with it?

LMAO! How hard is it to go to google and type in "PID" or "SSR"? If you don't have the gumption to figure out such basics on your own, then I recommend you give up now before you electrocute yourself or one of your loved ones.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna need it! :drunk:

That's a PWM, not PID, but otherwise I agree :mug:.

Oops. I corrected my post.

EarthBound said:
LMAO! How hard is it to go to google and type in "PID" or "SSR"? If you don't have the gumption to figure out such basics on your own, then I recommend you give up now before you electrocute yourself or one of your loved ones.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna need it!

Real nice EarthBound. With that mentality, there would be no reason to ever learn something new in life. :confused:

pvtschultz said:
You can make my PID from Radio Shack parts for about $12 and a couple hours time, or you can buy an assembled one from Bakatronics and swamp out one capacitor, or you can buy the parts from them and DIY. There's also a few on ebay that will need the same capacitor replacement to reduce the frequency to ~1 Hz.

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=383

I don't think I have the ability to build one, lucky if I can buy the parts and put a controller together, lol

EarthBound said:

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck. You're gonna need it! :drunk:

Lol I've googled both I know what they mean but I wasn't sure how they all worked together, thanks for the input!

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Surprised I couldn't find it earlier!

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/ProductCart/pc/Electric-Kettle-Controller-269p3084.htm

This seems to be simple as it gets and will probably be the controller I'll get unless I find something similar that appeals more or better value. Anyone else using one of these?

After 5-6hrs of reading the past two days I think I've figured out how this stuff works. The controller from High Gravity Brew is basically just a pwm and an ssr correct? I think It can be built for much cheaper than it's selling for on that site, and I know i'd be proud to say I built my electric setup than buying it but looking into those control boxes you guys have built intimidates me!

More questions. I'm considering the units high gravity has to offer. For my needs would you guys recommend the kettle controller or the EBC-II? One thing I don't understand about the EBC-II is the 120v plug. Is this just providing a switch for pump? There is one outlet for heat, but element is 220v?

real nice

Back