Catholic School Girl Irish Stout Gravity Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sAvAgE

Reaction score
Hey Peeps I have a question regarding the Irish Stout that was made. Here was the ingredients for a 23 Liter batch

15 Liters of Brewhouse All Grain Stout kit
750 Grams Chocolate Rye Malt
1 KG Muntons Dark Malt Extract
1 cup Dextrose
60 Grams Northern Brewers Hops
3/4 tsp Irish Moss
Filled the rest with water
Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast was used
And Sparged the grain for about 25 minutes
Yeast Pitch was at 73 F and fermentation temp has been from 72 - 77 F

The Stout is smelling and tasting wonderful

The OG before pitching the Yeast was 1.060
I Did a Gravity Test on Friday and it was at 1.020
Did the Gravity test this morning (Sunday) and it is at 1.020

Does this mean that the stout has stablized and ready for Xfer to a carboy or should I give it a little agitation and let it still ferment for a few more days? The Stout was made June 10

The stable gravity would suggest it is done however that is only 66% attenuation which is less then expected for the yeast used (71-75%). This could be because the extract with the kit has alot of unfermentables. I would transfer and bulk condition it now for several weeks.

Go ahead and transfer. If there are still fermentables in the beer the transfer should put the yeast back into suspention and get it going again.
It's perfectly fine for some fermentation to take place in secondary.

Great thanks for the info peeps I am keeping it in the Primary for another day, get another Gravity Reading, and then Transferring. Will keep you all posted, thanks for the advice

photogscott said:
I figured such.. Reminds me of that old cult hit "Kentucky Fried Movie" Anybody know what scene I'm talking about??
Catholic High School Girls in Trouble? A must see!

Back