90% efficiency could it be possiable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did my decoction mash yesterday (man what a long day my single turned into a double because the first decoction didnt raise the mash temp enough) any how this is the third brew I have done on this system and all three times the efficiency was over 90% this is boggeling me since I brewed for about 2+ years before and never did I get numbers like this. am I just calculating this all wrong??? here it is

10# 2 row 36GU = 360 GU
10# munich 35GU =350 GU
2 # 40 L 34GU =68 GU
2 # carapills 34 GU = 68 GU
1 # wheat 36 GU= 36 GU
total 882GU x.90=793.8/12= 66.15 OG
1.066 OG is what I got is this correct or am I drunk:tank:
thanks for the help
JJ

Hey, Jaybird. 90% is certainly possible, but looking at your grain bill (I'm assuming that's your starting gravity on 10.5 gallons, post boil) it seems high... When I check my efficiency, I use the calculators at tastybrew.com.

cheers. -p

the 0.90 in the calc is the efficiency I guess we just get the same answer a different way but its all good I just hope I can keep this eff rate up.
orfy
whats the 40 ppg for I dont really get that.
thanks
JJ

I calculated it with 10 gallons post boil so my numbers are off. 90%!?! Man that is killer, count your blessings!
Oh and brewsmith is brewing software similar to Promash or Qbrew.

Dan

O ya if I can keep it up things are gonna have to change with my recipes though all my old ones will have to be recalced O I dont mind though
how do you like Brewsmith opossed to Promash I am sure there has been a discusson on them both whats your prefferance and why?
Cheers
JJ

Remember the original reason for decoction mashing was to improve the efficiency on poorly modified malts, you should see higher efficiency.

The other thing I always ask when people are getting 90% efficiency is, have you checked your hydrometer lately? I have two and both are way off.

very good points Waldo I will check my hydrometer tomorrow I never really thought of that. It is the same one I used way back when but, good thought.
cheers
JJ

I like brewsmith because it's more user friendly for me. I like the brew day checkoff they give me and the strike temps are good one it. I've only used it a couple times so far, but out of it, promash, and Qbrew, it was my favorite.

Dan

jaybird said:
very good points Waldo I will check my hydrometer tomorrow I never really thought of that. It is the same one I used way back when but, good thought.
cheers
JJ

If you have the cheap ones like me then its a good idea to check them on a regular basis. Originally both were off 4 points, but the one that I use most is now off 6 points that paper scale must really slide easily.

I had heard that just because they are off say 6 points in distilled water doesn't mean they will be off that same amount at say 1.060. So I got out my refractometer and calibrated it and then made 3 batches of sugar water 1 at 1.010 another at 1.050 and another at 1.060 I used the refractometer to confirm the gravitys and then checked the hydrometers and they both were off the same amounts as in distilled water. So just check it in distilled water should be 1.000

I've evaluated both and I like promash. It has better session brews.

-- Trev

Back