1st Mini mash - unexpected high OG - screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
Tried my first big mini mash recipe last night, 3lb of grain in the bag, hard to keep the whole bulging thing submerged. Everything went well, except the OG reading came out at 1.061, when the recipe's expected OG was 1.052. Is this a fairly typical deviation or is it so large a deviation to indicate something may have gone wrong?

Here's the spec. grain bill:
2.25 lb Maris Otter
0.25 lb Crystal 40
0.75 Coffee Malt
2 oz Black Roasted Barley
2 oz Black Patent Malt

Soak in 2 G at 155F for 45 minutes. Put grain bag in strainer, pour 1.25 quarts (1qt/2lb grain) 170F water slowly over grain, allow to drip out.

Bring pot vol to 3G, bring to boil add:
3 lb Dark Extract (Liq.)
2 lb Amber Extract (Liq.)
8 oz Malto Dextrin

Add cold tap water to bring to 5.5 G. Here's where I took the OG reading.

I know this is a pretty unimportant question in the scheme of things (extra OG seems to be a good thing?) but as it was my first mini mash I have hundreds of questions. I managed to get most of them answered by google, but I'm stuck with this one. :confused:

Well, the first thing I noticed is that you actually steeped 3.5 lbs of grain, not 3.0 lbs. The balance of the discrepancy is most likely the result of minor errors in measuring the volume in the kettle and possibly in the hydrometer sample as well. I would not worry about it at all and I also would change nothing with your next recipe based on this limited experience. The beer will be fine and the higher OG may actually produce a more desirable beer.

When I partial mashed, I always noticed inconsistan hydrometer readings. Mostly due to a partial boil, and when you add in the extra water to get to 5 gallons it doesn't always mix evenly right away, so if you wait a little bit for them to settle together, you'd geet a more accurate reading.

When I partial mashed, I always noticed inconsistan hydrometer readings. Mostly due to a partial boil, and when you add in the extra water to get to 5 gallons it doesn't always mix evenly right away, so if you wait a little bit for them to settle together, you'd geet a more accurate reading.

ditto thats what i think i diid on my first pm, after fermentation 1.010 as expected currently bottled waiting to taste tonight or maybe in one hour:mug: good luck

I thought I was super accurate with water additions and boil off measurements, and gave it a real good stir in the fermenter before sampling but your answers have reassured me. Thanks muchly!

Back