Bottle label paper stock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaruche

Reaction score
Is there a particular paper stock that works best for bottle labels? Thanks in advance for any response.

Basically I just use regular printer paper. The way I do it is I print out single full sheet of labels - I fit 6 on a page. This is printed at the highest quality setting my printer allows. I take that to my local print shop and get color laser copies, which are the labels I put on my bottles. The reason I do it this way is regular home inkjet ink will run if it gets wet from condensation or whatever. The laser copies are indelible. The laser ink stiffens up the paper just a bit as well.

I stick the labels on with Dennison GluStic, which holds well enough but is easy to remove with a brief soak in water. Someone here said they glue their labels on with milk but I haven't tried that.

My home printer ink will run if I get some milk on the ink, I use the one at work and it doesn't run so it depends on the printer. Both use regular printer paper and I've used both and apply them with milk, it works great.

I use 3 x 4 shipping labels that are like stickers. I print them on my ink jet. They don't seem to run when they get wet as long as I don't rub them. Eventually since I will bottle the same stuff in the bottles and the labels don't need to change I am going to put a layer of clear laminate over them to hopefully seal them against any moisture.

a little clear spray Krylon works wonders on your inkjet output. No runs when refrigerated. However, if you're going to dunk these in an ice chest and carry them to a friend's - I suggest color laser - Kinko's style.

I have used labels from MyOwnLabels, great designs, but difficult to remove when washing the bottles, I'd rather use an easier to remove adhesive (like milk I suppose), but is there a design site to get nice looking labels like I can generate at the commercial vendor?
Thanks
Joe

I tried some label paper I bought a my LHBS - it works pretty well. It's gummed and sticks okay, but does run when it gets wet.

It does mostly depend on the type of ink that your printer uses. I had an HP DeskJet that ran without fail at the slightest drop of water. However, both my wife's Epson NX420 and my Canon ip2600 have color-fast inks that do not run when wet. The type of paper comes into play as well -- if it's glossy, then generally it will be more run-prone.

That being said, this is a page of label stock that I use regularly. I do my own layouts & stuff when I'm creating a sheet for printing, but most of my individual label work these days happens over at Beer Labelizer.

It depends on what kind of printer you are using in some cases - checkout beer labels - they have the best selection for any volume, blank or printed, and you can get pre-printed pretty cheap, and can even get lower volumes of their high volume labels that they make for a lot of breweries. I like the 4" x 3 1/3" labels on their matte label (spectacle) but be sure to pick the right material for the right printer

Back