beer foaming and spitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfetter

Reaction score
my homemade draft system foams and spits on first pull of tap,but settles after 3-4 seconds, then it pours perfect,then after sitting for maybe 10 minutes it does the hole thing again. i have replaced beer lines ,facet,shank, beer keg is in basement,in fridge,temp. reads 30deg. line runs are,10feet 5/16,4feet 3/16 and rise is 7-9foot,all line is insulated with 1/2 inch pipe insulation

I would guess that you are getting the CO2 coming out of solution due to the pressure loss in a 7-9 foot vertical rise. The temperature rise in the line could also be contributing to the problem. What is the pressure in your keg?

My guess would be warm lines. Just insulating them will not necessarily keep them cold. Most people will run some sort of cooling system (air cooled with a fan blowing into tubing with the lines or a glycol/water/or mix of the two system being run by a pond pump).

I agree with the other responses, 30 seems a bit too cold, but shouldn't be the primary cause of the foaming. Warm lines due to the length of run would be my bet.

A 9ft vertical rise equates to a 4 psi pressure loss. So if your keg is at 12 psi, then the tap is at 8 psi (without any flow) - you will get a significant amount of CO2 coming out of solution. The warmer temperature of the lines also contributes to carbonation loss.

Cooling the lines won't make the problem go away completely.

Back