All Grain Keggle Set Up or Blichmann?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu100

Reaction score
the keggle system is not perfect but it's pretty much ready to go right away while the blichmann kettles are just the start of a system.

@Eastoak True, but I was going more along the lines of assuming you had everything for both, which one is easier to use?

For example, the kegs are really durable, but I've read countless complaints about the grain filter warping or something happened to the bottom of a blichmann.

Also after everything is said and done the blichmann will be a couple hundred dollars more, but I'd obviously rather not pay more, but is it worth it? Are kegs more reliable?

i don't think kegs are harder to clean and are certainly very durable. the blichmann vs whatever else debate has been had many times and it seems to boil down to who wants to lay out the coin. i had a 10 gallon boilermaker with a false bottom that i really liked but sold it to buy a tower of power mash module. the mash module has been much more valuable to me than the kettle ever was. i brew in keggles and they have the same utility to me that the blichmanns do: sight glass, valves, false bottoms, lids and so on. i realize that it's like saying that a geo metro gets you to the same places as a ferrari (i actually drive a metro :D) but it is true. i love blichmann products, i brew on a 3 burner top tier, but the kettles cost more than the amount of utility i get out of them. all of my keggles cost less than $60, i cut the tops and had a welder do the fittings so for less than the price of 1 blichmann kettle i got 3 keggles. if i got 3 15 gallon blichmann kettles for free? i would sell them and use the money for something else. now the top tier/tower of power i can wholeheartedly endorse, no problems since the first time i fired it up. i went from 3 random individual burners to the top tier and there is no comparison as far as ease of use.

I think the Blich has some real advantages- better burners that use less fuel / boil faster, a great false bottom, well protected sight glasses, three thermometers.

I currently have two Turkey Fryers and use a Blich burner / Mash Tun, plan to upgrade to a 20G Blich kettle / burner with my Xmas bonus. Can't go wrong.

If price is your key object, Blich is expensive, and you can probably do more with less. But I think blich is like the IBM of brewing equipment- few ever regret buying the best.

In my opinion, Blichmann. Their mash screen is awesome. it wont warp or let any grain particles through. Once I upgrade from a cooler, I am going to definitely get a Blichmann mash tun to match my Blichmann kettle.

I had keggles and now have Boilermakers, biggest difference is weight - those keggles aint light. If you don't mind the exta weight and you can do the cutting and drilling yourself keggles are a good way to go, but personally, I wouldn't pay what many places are charging for the "pre made" keggles.
Overall I really like the Boilermakers, they're top quality, solid, well built & well designed and like the above poster noted Blichmann's false bottom is great, the best in the business IMO.

Having used both Blichmann BoilerMakers and Keggles, If money isnt an issue id go with the Blichmanns. They are designed and built for brewing, pretty much ready to go (unless adding elements or sensors) and perform great and as stated above the false bottom cant be beat!

You can build a great keggle for half the price + your labor, time and tools.

i'm not sure about other places but rebel brewing offers free shipping on blichmann products over $100.

I made my own 3 keg setup for a ridiculously small amount of money and it functions great.
For the mashtun, cut the top of the keg (about a 10" circle) and use the cut-out piece for your false bottom. It fits perfectly into the bottom of the keg and the dome shape froms a plenum. Drill a lot of small holes in the piece and use a stainless scrubber packed around the tube, for more filtration. I never get a stuck sparge and everything runs very clearly. You can find lids for all of your keggles at thrift stores. I use pyrex glass so I can see the process. I only put a valve on my mashtun and just siphon the boil kettle into my fermenter, which is now a third keg. You could use either option- valve or no valve. You can buy a ball valve assembly or make your own. I bought all of the parts and bent my own copper dip tube for about $35 at the hardware store. You can get lead-free brass or use stainless. For cookers, the propane camp cookers work fine. About 50,000 BTU or higher gives fast heating. I have two propane burners for simultaneous heating or as a backup. Having something malfunction in mid-brew (think Murphy's law) is a helluva mess. Don't forget to have two propane tanks for the same reason. Propane pressure regulators love to fail at the wrong moment too.
In addition to the 3 kegs, I bought a used 30 litre kettle for heating the sparge water and washing parts. It helps to measure water into it and mark so you do not have to measure water each time.
I have been using carboys for fermenting but am switching to a third keg. It was nice to see the ferment progress but stainless has advantages. I can do 12-14 gallons at a time and not have to worry about glass breaking from temperature or bumping accidents. The brewing supply stores carry corks that fit sanke kegs for the blowoff tube.
I keep the equipment simple and use floating thermometers, gravity flow from one keggle to the next and made a simple block and tackle to lift full kegs up to siphon or even to pick up when a burner clogged up. I work alone so need to allow for almost any contingency on brew day. A simple setup and having spare parts are key.

Back