CraigTube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I like Craig and his videos are entertaining. It took me a while to figure out how kegging works and how to properly use a system. Craigs videos on kegging helped me a lot. I find that jumping into these forums as a new brewer, the majority of the threads are by seasoned brewers. So trying to get a barney style explanation on how things work is hard to find on here. Craig is good at explaining how things work.

emiller0408 said:
Craig's awesome. You have to check out his cast on Justin.tv Friday nights starting at 9pm central.

Thanks for the heads up. Craig laid down some vinyl. It was soothing to sit back, drink beer and be a brick in the wall.

What does he do on Friday nights? Is it music or beer related? I'm a big Justin tv fan, that's where I get most of my content for my roku on.

Wow Revvy, I can't believe you haven't caught Craig's Friday night cast! He is always number one on the Social category. He mostly does music (60's 70's and 80's), but also chats about beer and life in general. His cast is top quality. I'm a moderator there, so if you stop in let me know! My handle is ArrogantBasterdAle. Sometimes the chat is hectic, but it's fun. Hope to see you stop by!

There are also quite a few other homebrewers that cast on JTV. They all follow Craig's format on music mostly, but have their own style. Here's a list:

http://justin.tv/maineyak (Extract brewer, very entertaining guy, large variety of music)
http://www.justin.tv/hockyplr (All grain brewer, a lot of popular metal and hip hop)
http://www.justin.tv/jakeanddar (extract brewer, wide range of music... very entertaining in his silly little way)
http://www.justin.tv/heavyriffbeer (Professional brewer... mostly 70's and 80's rock)
http://www.justin.tv/stevejamesbarr (Kiwi extract brewer... mostly 70's 80's and 90's rock and blues)

Cheers!

If you like Craig you will love this guy. I ditched cable for a ROKU set top box and found many brewing podcasts to entertain myself. I love this guy because he looks like he can kick some ass but talks like he is teaching pre-schoolers how to brew. I switch between Brewing TV and Homebrewer TV. I have to use the Ipad to check out Craig. Good stuff, I may start up a brewing podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewerTV

I know your post is a bit old but if you are using a roku get the plex media server installed on your pc. Use can use it to link just about any video content you find online to your roku to watch via the tv. I have been doing this with craigtube and chopandbrew.

Craig is good at explaining how things work.
A few days ago, I saw a link to his video explaining how a hydrometer works. I was wondering how he managed to get 20 minutes (!) of material out of that topic. This thread inspired me to go back and watch it.

Well, about ten minutes of it. He is good at explaining how things work. In great detail. Which is a cool skill, but sometimes you just have to let me lose to fool around before I can learn how something works.

So I guess I'd be up for a beer with the guy, as he seems nice, but I might have an escape plan ready in case he got going on a pet topic.

What I like about Craig is he seems to be a very genuine, sincere, down to earth guy. He doesn't condescend when the teaches, he just puts his knowledge out there.

Definitely a good thing for the hobby.

sr20steve said:
you gotta appreciate someone who puts in the time and effort to give folks a place to learn the ropes (god bless youtube lol). I found them very cool when i started, that being said i have learned much more from reading, trial and error, meeting homebrewing friends since then.

+1

I like the burps. Signifies a good,well-carbed beer to me. It's all part of the experience. Are you experienced? Have you ever been experienced? We-ell,I have...;)

Got to give props to CraigTube. When I started brewing over a year ago, his videos were the first ones I really watched all the way through to give me a basic understanding of home brewing. After that, I pretty much knew what to do, and how to do it, at least until I completely move on to all grain. ;)

Gotta agree with ya there. We started watching craigtube in December 2010 as well as steeljan,revolutionary brewer,& others. We settled on the Cooper's Microbrew kit for starters,as he was using one. Besides the fact that I couldn't believe brewing had gotten so easy at that point,compared to when pop made stouts in the 70's. So in January 2011 we brewed our first beer & I found & joined HBT February 19th. Between members on here & the AG & PM brewdays he filmed,I decided to try PB/PM BIAB in the same 5 gallon SS stock pot we started with. He just has a way of simplifying things that's great to watch & learn from. I like to say it's not wax on,wax off-ya learn it by doin' it. Videos like his make the visual learning aspect fun & easy. I like to think my gadget videos on youtube help somewhat,but he's been doing it for some 25 years. Gotta respect that!...:mug:

Yes I'm right there with you guys who appreciate the inspiration that Craig gives. I ran across his Youtube series and brewed my first five gallon batch of Light Hybrid Blonde Ale.

One of the traits I truly enjoy about Craig is his modesty. He has never said he makes the best beer ever, he has never stated his way is the only way. He has given to brewing, in my opinion, the same as Charlie Papazion, John Palmer, Bobby.... they share something they love and don't ask for anything in return.

Craig never get's as technical as the three guys I just mentioned but what he did do, and continues to do, is give inspiration just as those three men.

In my mind he will always be a homebrewing icon.

I really appreciate that. Thank you guys! As far as the burp thing goes, I just had to have a laugh. He's known as the "Burp Guy". I've made some fun of the comment he made, but that all it is... fun. Besides, I can't understand who can drink beer and not burp.

Cheers!
Craig

I always enjoy watching his videos and they were the first videos that I watched when I started. I've only done a handful of extract batches, but I still enjoy watching them. Whether you agree with his methods on not, He likes what he does and puts a lot of work into it.

Craig, count me as a fan. You're like the Bob Ross of homebrew- an "everyman" who some might ridicule for your simplicity and your home-spun, casual approach, but who far more people see as an inspiration to try something new themselves.

In other words, you do a lot of good for our hobby. Thank you.

Keep brewing those happy little beers. Cheers. :tank:

Can't believe he can't find more free time to post here. LOL! I think Craig video's himself doing more in a given week than most people "do" in a week.............

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

He does more than brewing videos. He has that craigtube live on Friday nights,craig's kitchen,beer reviews,home brew Wednesday,& craigtalk. He's usually pretty busy! I'm still subscribed to his videos & watch them all. Can't wait to get a new camera to start shooting more of my Brewvision videos myself.

He does more than brewing videos. He has that craigtube live on Friday nights,craig's kitchen,beer reviews,home brew Wednesday,& craigtalk. He's usually pretty busy! I'm still subscribed to his videos & watch them all. Can't wait to get a new camera to start shooting more of my Brewvision videos myself.

i assure you my comment was tongue and cheek. You've driven my point home quite nicely. There seems to be no end to his interests, talents, energy, and drive. All that, and as Dan pointed out, shared with modesty. Rare indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

One of the traits I truly enjoy about Craig is his modesty. He has never said he makes the best beer ever, he has never stated his way is the only way. He has given to brewing, in my opinion, the same as Charlie Papazion, John Palmer, Bobby.... they share something they love and don't ask for anything in return.

Craig never get's as technical as the three guys I just mentioned but what he did do, and continues to do, is give inspiration just as those three men.

In my mind he will always be a homebrewing icon.

Here! Here! :tank:

He's also a pretty kick ass drummer!

Ok, so he's Canadian, and we know how those Canadians love their Rush....

But still!!

Thanks Craig. Thanks for inspiring this home brewer! :mug:

Gotta chime in on this. I got into home brewing on my own and never knew how big of an online community there was. I was probably brewing for a year or so before I even thought to look on YouTube. That being said, Craig was one of the first ones I saw. I think I watched every one of them he had. You know... I've never even noticed the burping. But then again, my wife is always commenting on me burping loudly. So, Right on Brother.

Either way, great YouTube channel.

Haha You guys are making me blush. Listen, I enjoy making the videos and putting them out there. I missed my calling as a radio - television personality, so I chose to fulfil the dream on line. I was perusing a career in music when I was younger, but thanks to a cut-throat industry, I lost interest. And Yesfan, I collect vinyl and it is very hard to find any RUSH on vinyl in Canada. People buy it up like gold. But you know, RUSH is a world class band. They're known all over the world and have HUGE fan bases in countries you wouldn't believe, like Brazil for example. Although Canadians are proud of their top notch prog-rock band, RUSH has made a name for themselves all over the world. Just defending the boys, that's all :)

Well this is all a bit off topic I suppose, so I do have a question you guys might be able to help me with. Although I haven't posted on this forum until now, I often come here for information about all things brewing. On occasion, I have run into threads about me (like this one). Some good, some bad - that's to be expected. The one thing I would like to know is... What methods of mine do some find incorrect? I need to know because I would like to fix that if I can. Aside from my very early videos, I've tried to use proper methods of sanitizing, fermentation temps, use of equipment like hydrometers etc... If there's a video out there in particular where I really botched up something, I need to know so I can take it down, or annotate it. Now, I'm being serious, so don't be afraid to be honest. If I'm brewing with my zipper down, I want to know about it. The last thing I ever want to do is put wrong information out there. I did brew only kits for a long time, and I know that's one of the things that pissed some guys off. But I eventually realized the importance of exposing people to a wider range of brewing methods. So, any information in this area would be a great help to me.

Cheers, and thanx! :mug:
Craig

Haha You guys are making me blush. Listen, I enjoy making the videos and putting them out there. I missed my calling as a radio - television personality, so I chose to fulfil the dream on line. I was perusing a career in music when I was younger, but thanks to a cut-throat industry, I lost interest. And Yesfan, I collect vinyl and it is very hard to find any RUSH on vinyl in Canada. People buy it up like gold. But you know, RUSH is a world class band. They're known all over the world and have HUGE fan bases in countries you wouldn't believe, like Brazil for example. Although Canadians are proud of their top notch prog-rock band, RUSH has made a name for themselves all over the world. Just defending the boys, that's all :)

Well this is all a bit off topic I suppose, so I do have a question you guys might be able to help me with. Although I haven't posted on this forum until now, I often come here for information about all things brewing. On occasion, I have run into threads about me (like this one). Some good, some bad - that's to be expected. The one thing I would like to know is... What methods of mine do some find incorrect? I need to know because I would like to fix that if I can. Aside from my very early videos, I've tried to use proper methods of sanitizing, fermentation temps, use of equipment like hydrometers etc... If there's a video out there in particular where I really botched up something, I need to know so I can take it down, or annotate it. Now, I'm being serious, so don't be afraid to be honest. If I'm brewing with my zipper down, I want to know about it. The last thing I ever want to do is put wrong information out there. I did brew only kits for a long time, and I know that's one of the things that pissed some guys off. But I eventually realized the importance of exposing people to a wider range of brewing methods. So, any information in this area would be a great help to me.

Craig

Craig, you make it kind of tough to say you do things wrong because you make good beer that you enjoy.

If you need something to start with (I'm far from an expert) I'd just ask how the heck do you get away with using an old garden hose for your water source? :D

Sorry brother. I just can't find anything wrong with the way your brewing mind works. I've never tried a Coopers kit, but do know the first homebrew I made many, many, moons ago was a no boil kit from New Zealand.. and the final brew was wonderful.

Craig

Can you stop with the burping?

J/K! You know that if I ever see something that I think you might want to correct, I'll tell you! You know quite a bit about brewing these days, and I think it would be hard for anyone to find a real mistake. Sure, there are "style" preferences out there, and language preferences ('wirt vs wort'), but that's all knit picking IMO.

Cheers, and I hope that sour turns out good! ;)

~ Dan ABA

If you're not burping, you're not brewing. lol.

I just mashed in a Kolsch this morning as a direct result of the help I have received in the past from Craig's videos. As a new brewer with only 10 sessions under my belt, I value someone who can dedicate their time and talent to help new brewers such as myself get started.

i-WsMwNS2-L.jpg

Oh what could it be? A garden hose. Lol I drank from one all my life. Don't figure using one to brew with will hurt. lol

Craig, if I was in Canada, I would buy you a beer.

Cheers to ya Brother!

Ken

Ok sounds good so far guys. Thanks!

As for the "green hose"... Way back in 1989, I rented a house with my (then) wife. That's where the hose came from. I started using it to fill my bucket. (back then I only had a brew bucket, spoon, siphoning hose, capper, and bottles.) I remember making some pretty bad beers back then, probably due to poor sanitation and temps, or maybe that stupid hose! There was no internet per say, and I read no books. Anyway, I took that hose with me when we moved out. It's been with me ever since. It's told me some stories, and I've told it a few. Well anyway, I know what it tastes like to drink from a brand new garden hose, but this thing is so old that it has no odour and adds no flavour. I drink out of it often when I'm down here in the dungeon. It gets rinsed with very hot water and sanitized before use for brewing. I've been meaning to replace it with standard clear hose for a while now, but only to put minds at ease (not mine of course). It has seen better days, and it's getting hard to bend. LOL My God I can't believe I'm posting this in HBT!!

Cheers!
Craig

Back