Crazy Carb Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
So my regulator for the CO2 tank has officially gone screwy. It bled CO2 at a reasonably high psi into the keg for about 5 weeks, AFTER it was finished carbing (I know, I should have at least taken it off the line, but my ghetto force carb methods leave me needing a pressure boost once in a while.)

The problem I have now, while I wait for my new regulator, is that the foam is actually out of control. How out of control you ask? When I try to bleed some of the gas from the keg through the poppet, foam/beer sprays out everywhere.

This wouldn't bother me is my beer poured wasn't 99.99% foam EVERYTIME. Look, I admit, I am no keg scientist here. In fact, I have always been pretty liberal with my kegging, so long as I got yummy beer in which the foam eventually subsided. Not the case this time.

As I write this, my gas is off and disconnected from the keg and I haven't touched it in the past 48 hours except for trying one pour (foam) and one try at bleeding gas out (see: everywhere, foam).

I swear I will reform my kegging ways, but I need help to fix this one first!

Two options. The first is to leave the gas disconnected and vent the pressure every time you think of it for the next several days, until the carb level settles down.

The other option is to put a liquid side QD on your gas line, turn the gas on at a very low pressure, connect it to the liquid out side of the keg, and hold the pressure relief valve open while gas bubbles up through the beer. Do this for a few seconds and let settle, and repeat a few times.

Two options. The first is to leave the gas disconnected and vent the pressure every time you think of it for the next several days, until the carb level settles down.

The other option is to put a liquid side QD on your gas line, turn the gas on at a very low pressure, connect it to the liquid out side of the keg, and hold the pressure relief valve open while gas bubbles up through the beer. Do this for a few seconds and let settle, and repeat a few times.

That second option is crazy! just crazy enough to work! I'll give it a whirl when I get my new regulator. Thanks!

Back