Speidel Fermenter Airlock Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mb2658

Reaction score
I broke out my new 30L Speidel fermenter yesterday to use on a dry stout recipe that I brewed. After cleaning and sanitizing the airlock, I filled it up with Starsan to the fill line and quickly noticed that Starsan was running out the bottom tube of the airlock. At first I thought that it might be a design to prevent the airlock from overflowing but I realized that it appears to be a manufacturing defect. Here is a picture of the leak right down the tube. Fortunately, I had another airlock and was able to swap it out. Has anyone had an issue like this before?

image-1768227218.jpg

Update:

Morebeer is shipping me out a replacement free of charge. Their customer service was very helpful.

i finally got my 60L Speidel and had the exact same issue with the airlock. I was able to use a blowoff tube for that batch and morebeer has shipped me a free replacement. I wonder if there is any way to fix the leak? I love this OVERSIZE airlock design

I don't know. The location of the leak on my airlock makes it pretty difficult to try to patch. I am very happy with my Speidels so far. I have batches going in my two 30l fermenters. The big airlock works great. I haven't come close to filling either one to the top but I bet that the airlock would be able to handle it without filling up. Have you used your 60l yet? I have one and man is that thing awesome. The downside is that I need a bigger fermentation chamber as the 60l is too wide to fit in my 7 cf freezer.

I have a double IPA in my 60L now and it going well. I have a similar 14-gallon HPDE barrel that I also do primary fermentations in but the lid doesn't seal very well. The Speidel lid deems to seal tight. As far as fermentation chambers, I have always done ales and can usually keep my big fermenters cool enough in my fermentation locker (I.e., downstairs shower that we don't use) without needing additional cooling. When I need to warm it up I just plug a small heater into a temp controller and close the shower curtain or sometimes drop a box over it if I need to ferment up to 80F. For my secondary fermentations in cornys or carboys, I can get those in my fridge to keep temperautre steady.

Do you rack out of your Speidels or use the spigot?

I have a dry stout that I am about to keg. I was planning on using the spout. The location looks like it gives just enough room for the trub to settle so that it doesn't run out of the spout.

I just had the EXACT issue with mine. Filled fermenter for the first time yesterday and used the screwcap as I left it overnight in the fridge to cool further (SoCal ground water isn't very cold). This AM I went to pitch yeast and attach airlock and the airlock wouldn't hold water just like the OP's pic.

The water streams like the hole was there on purpose, not like a crack. Looking closer there appears to be a large disrupted area in the plastic around the hole. Must be an assembly defect.

I contacted MoreBeer and a replacement is on the way. For now I just have the screwcap with backed off to let air out.

I have a double IPA in my 60L now and it going well. I have a similar 14-gallon HPDE barrel that I also do primary fermentations in but the lid doesn't seal very well. The Speidel lid deems to seal tight.

I just racked the same beer last night as you into my 60L. My airlock holds liquid, have high krausen level and can smell fermentation in the room but no airlock movement.

UPDATED: The lid can still close and sit flush with the bucket with a portion of the gasket out of alignment, and brewers are none the wiser unless there isn't action from the airlock some time later.

From the time you push the gasket in with lid off, turn the lid over to be placed on the bucket any portion of the gasket can come out of its well, but the unit will still completely close flush.

Took off entire lid, looked to have a 1-2 inch portion crimped out of the well squished against the wall. I re-seated the gasket, sprayed with star san, re-attach belt and airlock activity within a few seconds.

I just racked the same beer last night as you into my 60L. My airlock holds liquid, have high krausen level and can smell fermentation in the room but no airlock movement.

Thanks for the help, I really feel stupid about this, but this was the first time i used my fermentor and there was no action on the airlock. I have always had a good strong fermentation and it just wasn't making any sense that the airlock wasn't working. My gravity was decreasing so I knew that fermentation was taking place. So I just took it apart and i had the inner ring upside down. the gasket wasn't doing anything.

I had the same problem with one of my 60L's ... Apparently I didn't seal the lid completely and had no airlock activity. Now I always slowly squeeze the sides a little after I put the airlock on to make sure I see activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back