Northern Brewer extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: Returning to the world of homebrewing. I am looking into buying a bunch of supplies and ran across a company selling extracts at decent prices, Northern Brewer.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/malt-extract.html
Any thoughts on this product? Shipping was cheap as well. I prefer thick extracts as opposed to some of those 'watery' types. I like supporting LHS but the price of these extracts are half of what I just paid!! Yeah you guessed it, I'm cheap. Thanks for any input, Charlie

i've been using northern brewers kits for alot of my beers, and they have been coming out great. usually hits og's right on the nose.

I recently started using Northern Brewer just to try something different from what my LHS had in stock. I have been shocked at how much better my beer has turned out. MY LHS was a great help getting me started, but they just don't have the turn over to keep fresh ingredients on hand.

I've made NB's Phat Tyre, Tongue Splitter, and English Pale Ale and all three have come out great.

I am not sure, but I think northern brewer makes their own extract. I buy the 6 pounds of extract from them and it comes in half gallon milk style jugs that are "northern brewer" branded. I like the product and think it is better than some of the dry and canned stuff out there. I don't know how it is on longevity, as I usually use it within two months of getting it. Just to be safe I think you should keep it in the refrigerator, so you need space if you are going to order a lot of it.

Their light malt is not as light in SRM as I would like, but to really get those kinds of colors you need to do all grain. All in all, the fact that their malt is a few bucks less than the canned malt and the fact that they have flat rate shipping make me put in frequent orders for 30lbs of the stuff. The malt is very fermentable, and on par with any of the canned malt syrups out there. I like it and say get it as long as you are going to use it within a short time of the order.

Thank you all very much for your quick replies. I will give NB a try and Breisse(Midwest) bulk looks to be another good choice. Charlie

I've been very happy with their extracts. They have a high turnover so you know that they are fresh. I made a very good beer with their pilsen extract and a great one with their organic light. I also made a very bad beer with their light malt extract but that was no falt of theirs :cross:

Back