Equimpment upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20000Barrels

Reaction score
I am using the basic equipment for extract brewing 5 gallon batches.

Could I up grade equipment for this type of brewing?

Thanks

So you want to upgrade your equipment and continue doing 5 gallon extract, yes?

1) I would get a large enough kettle to do a full boil if you don't already.

2 or 3) Look into fermentation temp control because that will make your beers a crap ton better.

3 or 2) Get a stir plate and start working on pitching the correct amount of yeast. This will also make it easier to harvest yeast and all that good stuff.

Those would be my top 3 for 5 gallon extract.

Thanks!
sorry about the Sp in the title.

So you want to upgrade your equipment and continue doing 5 gallon extract, yes?

1) I would get a large enough kettle to do a full boil if you don't already.

2 or 3) Look into fermentation temp control because that will make your beers a crap ton better.

3 or 2) Get a stir plate and start working on pitching the correct amount of yeast. This will also make it easier to harvest yeast and all that good stuff.

Those would be my top 3 for 5 gallon extract.

Suggestions:

1. Fermentation control. Find a place where you can control the fermentation temperature where you want it. Buy an old chest freezer on craigslist for $100 and get a temperature controller.

2. A wort chiller would be a good investment. Cool your wort down in 10 minutes versus 45 minutes in an ice bath.

3. Yeast starters. Read up on them.

4. Tons of upgrades you can do to make bottling go faster. Or go to kegging your beer.

Back