CrashPlan Cloud Backup - anyone using it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using the free CrashPlan backup to an external drive, and it seems to be working perfectly for many months now. I'm considering diverting my backups to cloud storage now ($).

• Any thoughts on CrashPlan Backup to Cloud?
  • Anyone have raves for another cloud-based solution? (Money not an issue, so "free" not a driving feature)

I use Crash Plan on a couple of computers, but I simply have no desire to place our files on the Internet.

At some point in the future I might consider an off-site location that is not the Internet, like my home.

When they say "The Cloud" they simply mean "some server(s) on the Internet and we aren't telling you anything about them."

When they say "The Cloud" they simply mean "some server(s) on the Internet and we aren't telling you anything about them."

Oh, you mean it's not a real cloud? :)

The problem for my little company is that we are in a tight race with some unsavory competitors who would do "stuff" to set us back. Believe me, things like arson and B&E are not paranoia in this situation. So we need to get our work out of the building, and sneakernet isn't a good solution.

I use crash plan to back up my personal files and LOVE it. I used to have Mozy but when they raised their rates and put limits on their storage amounts I started looking for an alternative. I think that was about a year ago. I find their user interface to be easy to work with, they back up every 15 min (or more or less often if you request), they use a high level of encryption so I don't worry about my files on someone else computer. (Although all I have a SWF pictures, etc anyways so I don't really care). You can download files from any web browser if you log in or if you need to do a massive restore you can do it from the software or they can burn the files to a DVD for an extra fee. What more could I want!

In my opinion they are the best out there.
Mozy = Expensive and limited.
Carbinate (sp?) = bandwidth throttling after a certain limit which I hit very quickly. Would have taken 3 months to back up my 80 gigs, took a couple of weeks with Crashplan.

I use crashplan for all my computers at home. We also resell crashplan at my work. It is a great product. If they only offered seeding...

This is why I would only consider using it to backup to my own remote location. Then you can seed at the office and set up the daily backup to go remote.

I use Crash Plan on a couple of computers, but I simply have no desire to place our files on the Internet.

At some point in the future I might consider an off-site location that is not the Internet, like my home.

I totally agree.
Had just such a discussion recently with some friends of mine.

It kinda defeats the purpose of actual Cloud based storage having to do local backups ... and so there is no circumstance in which I would use cloud storage for critical data storage. Particularly for business data.

I really don't see how Cloud based storage is ever going to get off the ground. After experiencing the electricity blackout/grid-crash of 2003 which affected 55 million people for up to 4 days; for irreplaceable critical data I wouldn’t trust any “grid” which uses that sort of anonymous, distributed structure for such storage.

How risky are such structures?
The grid crash of 2003 was started by a single tree in Ohio that had not been trimmed properly. So for a few days, the northeast section of the North American continent including a large section of Canada was pretty much sent back to the Dark Ages ... night after night entire neighborhoods gathering around open fires in otherwise pitch-black areas and roasting meat (from their rapidly thawing freezers) and talking about what firearms they had available while wondering if civil unrest was going to break out.
Actually, it was a pretty good time! :)

How much adversity is required to affect data in the Cloud or even just the availability of the Internet so I can access the cloud? ... an earthquake? ... a power outage? ... a hacker? Nevermind worms and viruses. Do I want to find out?
(btw: nothing has been done to prevent another grid crash. The industry is relying on societal “energy conservation” measures to reduce load on the system ... oh now THAT’S a good solution ... we are definitely heading toward *reduced* electrical load. I digress ...)

And about security ... storage on redundant, diffuse sights is also at direct odds with the security of that data.

The comparison of the electrical grid and any cloud computing grid works on a number of levels.
Your data is “somewhere out there” on servers you do not know, on a system you do not control, run by people who may or may not be doing what they are supposed to, and may or may not be actually accountable to you in a way which protects your interests. Sure, you could always sue them ... er ... someone .. ah, if you can find them ... and have the money and time to do so ... while you are dealing with the crushing effects of the data loss. Can you imagine trying to untangle exactly “who” was responsible “where” when it comes to applying liability when your data was stored “out there somewhere”.
As it was in the Blackout of 2003, in the end, there very well might be nobody you can sue for damages for your losses.

Cloud storage is supposed to be based on redundancy.
Uh huh.
Like the electrical grid was set up to be “self-preserving” or Three Mile Island had “failsafes”.
How quickly the best laid plans go to hell.

Permanent data loss is one problem ... another problem that can be crippling for a company is to simply have their data inaccessible for an extended period ... that is, another actual electricity grid blackout.
At least if you make part of your storage plans in known, finite locations such as on-site you can determine if emergency power plans are in place ... across the broad expanses of the Internet, that is not possible.

I totally agree.
Had just such a discussion recently with some friends of mine.

It kinda defeats the purpose of actual Cloud based storage having to do local backups ... and so there is no circumstance in which I would use cloud storage for critical data storage. Particularly for business data.

I really don't see how Cloud based storage is ever going to get off the ground. After experiencing the electricity blackout/grid-crash of 2003 which affected 55 million people for up to 4 days; for irreplaceable critical data I wouldn’t trust any “grid” which uses that sort of anonymous, distributed structure.

How risky are such structures?
The grid crash of 2003 was started by a single tree in Ohio that had not been trimmed properly. So for a few days, the northeast section of the North American continent including a large section of Canada was pretty much sent back to the Dark Ages ... night after night entire neighborhoods gathering around open fires in otherwise pitch-black areas and roasting meat (from their rapidly thawing freezers) and talking about what firearms they had available while wondering if civil unrest was going to break out. (actually, it was a pretty good time :)

How much adversity is required to affect data in the Cloud or even just the availability of the Internet so I can access the cloud? ... an earthquake? ... a power outage? ... a hacker? Nevermind worms and viruses. Do I want to find out?
(btw: nothing has been done to prevent another grid crash. The industry is relying on societal “energy conservation” measures to reduce load on the system ... oh now THAT’S a good solution ... we are definitely heading toward *reduced* electrical load. I digress ...)

And about security ... storage on redundant, diffuse sights is also at direct odds with the security of that data.

The comparison of the electrical grid and any cloud computing grid works on a number of levels.
Your data is “somewhere out there” on servers you do not know, on a system you do not control, run by people who may or may not be doing what they are supposed to, and may or may not be actually accountable to you in a way which protects your interests. Sure, you could always sue them ... er ... someone .. ah, if you can find them ... and have the money and time to do so ... while you are dealing with the crushing effects of the data loss. Can you imagine trying to untangle exactly “who” was responsible “where” when it comes to applying liability when your data was stored “out there somewhere”.
As it was in the Blackout of 2003, in the end, there very well might be nobody you can sue for damages for your losses.

Cloud storage is supposed to be based on redundancy.
Uh huh.
Like the electrical grid was set up to be “self-preserving” or Three Mile Island had “failsafes”.
How quickly the best laid plans go to hell.
How much redundancy is needed to be safe? ... how much is being applied to your data? ... and how can you be certain of it?

Permanent data loss is one problem ... another problem that can be crippling for a company is to simply have their data inaccessible for an extended period ... that is, another actual electricity grid blackout.
At least if you make part of your storage plans in known, finite locations such as on-site you can determine if emergency power plans are in place ... across the broad expanses of the Internet, that is not possible.

Did you recommend another form of offsite backup there? And, we are talking about backup. If the backup goes down, there's still the original (and possibly on-site backups).

Did you recommend another form of offsite backup there? And, we are talking about backup. If the backup goes down, there's still the original (and possibly on-site backups).

In the case of that recent conversation, because the business involves inbound orders, the discussion included doing much in-house by hiring IT and running a mirrored server setup on site to avoid downtime.

Further backup would be using remote backup services (in case the building gets hit by a comet or something).
We did not come to specific software or provider selections. Way more figuring to be done on process before looking at any specific product.

With a business, it depends on how much can be spent (read: debt service) ... and all the impacts to the business’s cash-flow.
What solutions and products might be used are just one aspect. Much figuring before that.
So as far as software (or for that matter providers) ... sorry I couldn’t be more help on that.

I use Zoolz for my company's backup they send ur files to Amazon S3 with encryption and you can add external drives or remote locations to the backup. It's worth checking http://www.zoolz.com
They also have a sharing option so if a team are working on the same document they can share it using the cloud

Back