Belgian White-Excellent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
Just cracked my first bottle of Belgian White....its only been in the bottle a week but i was too curious and..... it tastes awesome! Its pretty nicely carbonated for only one week in bottle and the orange and coriander come through really nicely.... maybe a little heavy on the orange peel, but certainly a nice flavor. I added half a pound of honey to the brew which adds a nice sweetness, although i hope it will dry out a bit over the next few weeks.

This is the best moment of homebrewing: the first taste of a new batch that makes you say to yourself "damn, I made that!":mug:

Congrats!:mug: I'm still waiting on my latest "Red Tail" clone to carbonate. Been two weeks with DME priming and was pretty flat at one week. I'll be using the old corn sugar from now on.

Regards,
Al

GIusedtoBe said:
Congrats!:mug: I'm still waiting on my latest "Red Tail" clone to carbonate. Been two weeks with DME priming and was pretty flat at one week. I'll be using the old corn sugar from now on.

Regards,
Al

Is that a Red Tale Ale clone from Mendocino? I used to live down the street from the brewery in Saratoga Springs NY and drank that stuff all the time...it has a special place in my heart.... is it an extract recipe? I might be interested in trying that.
ben

bperlmu said:
Is that a Red Tale Ale clone from Mendocino? I used to live down the street from the brewery in Saratoga Springs NY and drank that stuff all the time...it has a special place in my heart.... is it an extract recipe? I might be interested in trying that.
ben

That is exactly what it is and I think its pretty close if you can judge by flat beer.:mad: I'm hoping that when/if it carbs up it will be good. It does seem that the real RTA is hoppier than the clone I brewed but I guess I should wait to see if it improves. The recipe is the one from BYO. Just go to their site and do a search on the recipe section. It calls for 5 lbs of Briess DME but I used 6 lbs of Muntons and hit the target OG. I don't think you can get 1.052 for 5 gallons with 5 lbs of DME.

Regards,
Al

Back