Dry hopped red ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Good or bad idea? its 2 weeks in the primary and considering dumping an oz of centennials is. Any thoughts, would like to do it tonight if im gonna do it. Its gonna go right into the primary.

Any suggestions to the amount of hops would be great, i have pleanty of centennial and willemette pettets on hand.

Although I'm new to dry hopping from what I can gather on the fourms is that it couldn't hurt. Your really just adding more aroma to the beer so it wont get any bitter. As for the amount I just dry hopped a 5 gal batch of cranberry wheat with about half an ounce of cascade. Its still in the secondary , and when I tasted it a few days ago it tasted very good.

I know its not an irish red, american not sure either. Its a Brewers best red ale kit. Was a 60 and 5 min hop addition, cant remember how much of each. Both were willemette..

If its a 5 gallon batch you could do an oz of either. I love a good Centennial dry hop. How many IBU's is the recipe?

FWIW I wouldn't dry hop a kit you've not brewed before. First time with a recipe or kit and I like to brew it as written. Now if you are kegging that is a different story because you can drink some and then add hops later on.

Okay, gonna do it..what i have on hand are centenial, cascade, and willemette. What should i do? gonna do 2 oz of which ever is best. Thanks

Which hops should I use? im leaning towards centennial but my lhbs says either cascade or willemette. Im drinking a summit red ale as we speak dry hopped with cascade but the aroma is barely there...Any thoughts?

Dry hop with both!! An ounce of each, or two Cascades if you want to go big!! As far as I'm concerned reds are for hops!

Done...dry hopped with 1.5 oz of the willamette....Smells wonderfull already:)

Let us know what you think after its in the bottle a few weeks. Cheers!

For sure, being new to brewing i didnt even know a hopped red ale exsisted. I love some nice aroma hops and actually found the summit red ale thats dry hopped in my local liquor store. So then of course i for sure wanted to try it, just unsure what to use and when to use it. Is sure is fun learning though. The red ale is probably the best kit ive done, controlled fermentation temps made it come out nice. (stole a sample from the last gravity reading:)

Back