propane connector to the burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
On Amazon I found what looks to be a reasonable propane burner -
Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My question is - (since I have no experience with propane / grills / burners) -
will it connect to a typical / standard propane tank?

I was reading a review for a different burner and one reviewer mentioned having to pay $25 for some kind of connector.

I thought all I needed was the burner and tank, not an extra $25 connector. Am I wrong? Does one usually need extra hardware to connect a modern burner with a modern tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be fine with the SP10. It has everything you need. It will connect to a standard propane tank.

That's exactly what I use. It'll work fine with a pot.

Your only problem will be if you use a keggle- a sankey (i.e., the big 15 gal ones you get from the liquor store) keg is too big to rest securely on top of it. I had to modify mine to make it compatible with my sankey keggle.

Modern tanks have a male thread on them and the hose has a female collar that you hand screw on. Everything you get from Bayou Classic should be "modern" in this way.

If platform size is a concern for you, as badmajon mentioned, the SP10 doesn't really support a keggle. The SQ14 and KAB6 plus both handle them nicely. If you go the KAB6 plus route, make sure you're getting the "plus" version (KAB6 vs KAB4). It has a wider 22" cooking surface than the regular KAB4's 16", which is holds a keggle but not very safely.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/sq14_propane_burner.htm
http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab6-kick-a-banjo-burner-plus.htm

Thank you for the response.

I was looking at the SQ14 burner also. It seems to have 1 advantage over the SP10 - it can produce a lower flame and thus use less Propane, such as when you want a low boil - when you don't need 185,000 BTUs.

Some have said the SP10 runs through fuel fast, but maybe they have the flame too high? I don't care about a wasted 75 cents, its more the hassle of having to swap the tanks and refuel.

For boiling 5 gallons of wort (60 minutes), how many sessions do you get out of 20 pounds of fuel?

I've got an SP10 and I've gotten two 5 gallon batches off a 20 lb tank that was not completely full and it feels like theres still enough fuel sloshing around in there for another batch (maybe two).

I do full 5 gallon boils but I only bring 2/3 of my mash water to strike temperature on the burner. My sparge water I heat in a separate pot.

After my first run with the burner I've begun to turn the burner down to the minimum level needed to keep the boil going. Even though most recipes will instruct you to get a "good" or "vigorous" boil going I've learned the water doesn't need to be erupting out of the pot to get the wort boiled. :cross:

Back