Racking to secondary advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hops2it

Reaction score
I haven't yet purchased a hydrometer and have typically just went with about a 3 week primary. On my current batch, I have a desire to rack to secondary and dry hop. As of tomorrow, I'll have 9 days in the primary and there's no activity in the air gap. Do you think I'd be ok to transfer to secondary tomorrow? I was planning to leave it there for a week.

After much reading here, I'm going to get a hydrometer but I'm looking for thoughts at this stage of the game.

Nine days seems like an awfully short primary. I like your three week primary much better! Then do the secondary.

You will get a ton of different idea's about this. I have moved beer in 7 days and have left it in the same vessel for 28 days. Most of the time 10-14 days is long enough to complete primary fermentation with an ale at optimal temps. Is that long enough to clear up any off flavors? Who can say depends on what your brewing and how big a beer you are brewing.

I bet it is safe to move from a fermentation stand point but I would give it at least 14 days and that should have any diacetyl or other off flavors cleared up by then.

The very first time I moved to a secondary, I did it at 14 days. Now I wait at least 3 weeks if possible, but 14 days is fine if needed.

If getting proper attenuation is important to the recipe (and it usually is), then you want to make sure that fermentation is complete i.e. an appropriate and stable terminal gravity has been reached. So, get that hydrometer.

Yeast have more work to do after fermentation has finished. The best thing I have done to improve my beers is to let them sit in Primary at the very least 3 weeks with 4 being the norm. Clean clear beer.

Back