Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Orange Clove Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast German Wheat Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
25?
Color
[COLOR=\"Orange\"][/COLOR]
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Clove is strong so it can either be cracked or whole depending on taste
Ingredients:
3lb White Wheat Malt
2 3.3lb Wheat LME
2oz Hallertauer
4oz Bitter Orange Peel
.5oz Whole Clove
1pkg German Wheat Yeast

Wort:
Bring 2.5gal of water to 165F. Steep 3lb White Wheat Malt and .5oz Whole Clove in a grain bag for 30min. Remove grain bag and allow liquid to drain back into brew pot.

60min 1st can LME and 1oz Hallertauer
25min 2nd can LME
10min 1oz Hallertauer
5min 4oz Bitter Orange Peel
0min Terminate Boil

Just remade this one as an AG. Used 6lb Dark Wheat Malt, 4lb Dark Munich Malt (LHBS was out of White Malts), and .5oz Clove for my mash. Then I messed up and added 2oz Hallertauer at 60min instead of just 1oz so I let that boil for 45min and added the 4oz Bitter Orange Peel at 15min... We will see how this one turns out and if anyone tries either recipe please let me know your opinions.

yeah, I read up and figured that out, thanks for the reply

Also, how "orangie" is this recipe? also, can I substitute coriander for the cloves

It is fairly orange flavoured so you could cut it down to 2oz. I add cloves because I like the flavour and do not have good luck in getting the clove taste from my yeast in the fermentation process in Hefeweizens. I have added cracked coriander to a similar brew about 3mo ago and it turned out fairly well but that was a blue moon clone. I would go with .5oz coriander in the last 10min of the boil and it should give you the flavour you are looking for. Let me know your final recipe and how it turns out.

Just made this tonight. took me a while because I was trying to get someone to crush the grains for me but I couldn't find anyone.... had to use the rollling pin.

Made exactly as per the recipe. used wyeast 3068.

what how long did you ferment/condition? did you secondary?

I dont use a secondary when i make wheat beers... I like the cloudiness. I fermented in my carboy for 3 weeks. On my last batch my yeast died at 1.035 and I had to re-pitch with another pack of 3068. I bottled that batch 2 weeks ago and I tasted it last night and it had a strong banana taste, probably the two packs of yeast. I would suggest letting it bottle condition for at least 3 weeks.

I just bottled this on the weekend. gravity finished out at 1.014 which was the high end of the expected range in beersmith. so far it has great mouthfeel and is quite sweet. I don't taste much of the orange/clove flavor but perhaps that will come out with some aging. I have heard that as long as several months for this style may be required to get the most out of the batch.

I just brewed one close to this. I am farily new to homebrewing so after talking with my LHBS and doing a little research I made some changes they are as follows: I brewed this with 1oz. orange the guy at the LHBS messed up and only gave me that one package. I cut the cloves in half but added one stick of true cinnamon while i was steeping my grains I opted that over adding it later in the boil because i didn't want it to over power all the other flavors. I also went with the WYEAST 3068. If anyone has any suggestions or comments I would like that like I said I am new to homebrewing and am excited to see how this one turns out. I brewed on 2-12

mine fermented like a carbomb. blew out the airlock within 12 hours, no starter. I did however harvest a bunch of krausen though so it wasn't all bad. been out working for a bit but I'll be home right on the 3 week mark.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

I had my first bottle of this tonight. Clearly I fermented too warm because I have a lot of banana notes. There's not as much orange and clove as I would have expected based on the amounts. I guess that's ok. Mouthfeel is great and overall the beer is very drinkable. I need to to my temp control more refined and then I'll take another crack at this.

Good to hear it turned out alright. I have been thinking of trying a different yeast with it to try and take away that strong banana flavour. Any ideas?

yeah I have a couple of other wheat style yeasts here that I could try. I'm told that 3068 requires precise temp control to get things to come out right. clearly, I don't have that yet. I don't know where I can get white labs yeast here in Ontario and I'm hesitant to mail order anything till spring in case my precious yeast spends an hour or 2 in the mail box... There are at least 2 other hefe yeasts in the wyeast catalog that might do the trick nicely. I would even be tempted to try a batch with an american wheat yeast just to see. It wouldn't be a hefe then, maybe it would be so awesome that I wouldn't care. I'm really happy with how this beer has turned out. it's not exactly what I was expecting but it's a good start. If I get motivated to try out some changes to the recipe I will post em up for sure.

just brewed this one agian got some questions i changed the hops to amarillo hops so given the fact that they are a stronger hop i cut them back to .08 oz everything else was exactly the same except for i added a cinnamon stick to the steeping sack as i have with both batches before.......however i checked the og at about 75 degrees when shortly before i pitched my yeast and i came up with 1.030 which is way low......i did add enough water to get the full 5 gals. What did i do to make the og so low is my question?? was it just i checked my og at 75 instead of 60 where my gauge is set to or that i shouldnt of added that much water any ideas would be great i am just worried i spent all this time and brewed a beer that is a whole 2.75%

Measuring at 75 will only bump you down .002. I really don't know what you did wrong... Maybe you didn't stir in the top off water well enough and that would throw the gravity off. When I did this one it was a full boil so I am guessing it has to do with your top off water.

Thanks for the help i took a gravity reading when i transfered to my secondary and it was dead on where it should of been. I had good fermentation with a good sedament base when i drained my primary and my secondary is 4 days through and i am still getting a good base build up. So i am going to to agree that it was more then likly a poor mix after i did the top off. However on that note i am going to be done with extract brewing and am planning my first AG brew within the next 2 weeks. I have a cooler ordered and will be building the manifold the day it arrives (whoever thought that owning a hardware store would be such a benifit to homebrewing!!!!) so thanks again for all the help and i will be sure to post the results of my first AG batch and when and if i have any problems.

Back